News An Impressive Rescue: Chilean Miners

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Some of these guys were too big to fit into the recovery chamber, so they've been on a rigorous training program to lose weight. At least one miner has lost almost thirty pounds.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
... the ultimate high-motivation weight-loss program.

... the ultimate high-motivation weight-loss program.
Yeah... I think I'd rather do Slim-Fast. :yuck:

Can you imagine what it must smell like down there by now?

berkeman

Mentor
From the link: :uhh:
Before anyone can be rescued, the hole must be widened so that the rescue capsule -- dubbed the Phoenix -- can land cleanly inside the tunnel without getting hung up on obstructions, Golborne said. To accomplish that, explosives will be lowered to the miners for use in widening the shaft, said Golborne, who expressed little concern that the subterranean pyrotechnics would pose any danger to the men.

berkeman

Mentor
I've never been happier that I don't mine.
Yeah, maybe Mr. Golborne should volunteer to descend with the explosives, and set the charges himself...

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Copiapo, Chile (CNN) -- A rescue drill has pierced the roof of an underground mine in Chile where 33 men have been trapped since August 5.

Chile's mining minister had said Friday afternoon that they hoped to reach the miners within a day.

"Hopefully before that," Mining Minister Laurence Golborne told reporters about the time when a rescue drill is expected to pierce the roof of the mine. At the time he spoke, it was 40 meters (about 130 feet) away. "Maybe tomorrow morning, early Saturday. We have to wait and see."
. . . .
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/10/09/chile.trapped.miners/index.html

Hopefully all goes well today, and the miners will be back with their families this evening!

Borek

Mentor
Yeah, maybe Mr. Golborne should volunteer to descend with the explosives, and set the charges himself...
I guess those under the ground are much better trained in using explosives than he is.

Once the miners are rescued and reunited with their families what are going to do next? I doubt many of them will want to come back to mining. They still have to put food on the table. I hope it all works out for them.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Looks like we're going to see them coming to the surface tonight here. The first miner is getting into the capsule now.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wow, they showed a little kid, likely the first miner's son...oh the look on his face was so moving. Pure hope and joy.

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The first miner has reached the surface! I timed the ascent of the rescue capsule, it took about 15:45.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Fantastic to watch, that made my day :approve:!

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yay! 32 to go.

Once the miners are rescued and reunited with their families what are going to do next?
Spaghetti dinner?

I doubt many of them will want to come back to mining. They still have to put food on the table.
If U.S. miners are indication, nearly all of them will.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Apparently there was some competition to see who got to go last! At first it seemed a noble gesture, but slowly it leaked out that this may be more a matter of strategy: The last person out will go down as the person who spent the most time trapped in a mine. The bosses up top decided it would be the crew foreman.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Once the miners are rescued and reunited with their families what are going to do next? I doubt many of them will want to come back to mining. They still have to put food on the table. I hope it all works out for them.
They're going to Disneyland!

Actually, that will come after the multi-million dollar movie deal. Once they get out, they are likely set for life.

They're going to Disneyland!

Actually, that will come after the multi-million dollar movie deal. Once they get out, they are likely set for life.
Yeah, no kidding. The coverage of the rescue is just ridicules. There is more than a 1000 journalists at the scene; there are NASA astronauts and experts, even the Chile and Bolivian presidents are there to greet the miners. The whole world is hooked and watching intently.

It's fair to say now they're going to get into all sorts of book, magazine, and movie deals, and travel all of the world to give talks.