An integral rewritten (from “Almost impossible integrals“, p.59 in Valean)

In summary: Well, me neither, but this is what happens. From the first integral to the second integral, they simply rewrite ##x^{n-1}## as ##\frac 1 n (x^n - C)'## with ##C## as a constant (i.e. 1 in your case). If you take the derivative of ##\frac 1 n (x^n - C)## you obtain ##x^{n-1}## for any constant ##C##, so the RHS and LHS of your first line are equal.
Pnin
I want to understand where the minus 1 in the first line in the RHS term comes from.
I assume the little apostrophe means taking a derivative. But the antiderivative of x^(n-1) is (1/n)x^n. Why the -1?

thank you

36B76220-096E-4F9A-94C1-A0DBA5C10085.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It has ##(1-x^n)## in the numerator while the previous expression has ##(x^n-1)'##.

This I understand. But I do not understand the first line.

How does the -1 come up in the RHS giving the LHS in the first line?

It's a trick. The -1 vanishes upon differentiation. You could have written any number there instead.

SchroedingersLion said:
It's a trick. The -1 vanishes upon differentiation. You could have written any number there instead.

Ok. I never saw that trick before. But if I had written another number I would not have gotten the desired result, the harmonic series. So is that really a legal trick which allows you getting different values from a definite integral?

Pnin said:
Ok. I never saw that trick before. But if I had written another number I would not have gotten the desired result, the harmonic series. So is that really a legal trick which allows you getting different values from a definite integral?
Well, me neither, but this is what happens. From the first integral to the second integral, they simply rewrite ##x^{n-1}## as ##\frac 1 n (x^n - C)'## with ##C## as a constant (i.e. 1 in your case). If you take the derivative of ##\frac 1 n (x^n - C)## you obtain ##x^{n-1}## for any constant ##C##, so the RHS and LHS of your first line are equal. They are choosing a particular ##C##, i.e. 1, because it helps in the following steps. As an exercise, try to do it with another constant, then you might see why there was just one logical choice that simplifies the calculation.

Likes Pnin

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve in a graph. It is also used to calculate the volume of a solid bounded by a curved surface.

Why are some integrals considered almost impossible?

Some integrals are considered almost impossible because they do not have a closed form solution, meaning they cannot be expressed using common mathematical functions. These integrals often require advanced techniques or numerical methods to solve.

What does it mean to rewrite an integral?

To rewrite an integral means to change the form of the integral in order to make it easier to solve. This can involve using substitution, integration by parts, or other techniques to manipulate the integral into a more manageable form.

What is the purpose of rewriting an integral?

The purpose of rewriting an integral is to make it easier to solve and obtain a solution. Sometimes, rewriting an integral can also reveal hidden patterns or relationships that can lead to a more elegant solution.

How can I improve my skills in solving almost impossible integrals?

To improve your skills in solving almost impossible integrals, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic integration techniques and to practice solving a variety of integrals. It can also be helpful to study and learn more advanced integration techniques, such as trigonometric substitutions and integration by parts.