An unlikely Nobel Peace Prize nominee

• News
  • Thread starter waht
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm going to leave you to guess who that might be.

So do you think he deserves to win?

Answers and Replies

I know Hitler was a Peace prize nominee once. I find that very unlikely...

It's Wikileaks, or as you may be alluding to, Julian Assange...

So do you think he deserves to win?
Sure, why not ?
assange-zuckerberg1.jpg

Evo
Mentor
It's Wikileaks, or as you may be alluding to, Julian Assange...
Some nutty Norwegian politician submitted wikileaks. What a crock. But they say the prize has been a joke the last few years. Obama got it last year for no reason.

Here is some information on the 2011 Nominations. The list is secret, unless the nominator announces they threw someone's name in.

http://www.prio.no/About/PeacePrize/PRIO-Directors-Speculations-2011/

Last edited:
I think Julian Assange deserves it more then anyone else I can think of, surely more then Obama.

Evo
Mentor
I think Julian Assange deserves it more then anyone else I can think of, surely more then Obama.
What, for putting up a website? There are people nominated that have risked their lives to make changes. Let's hope the prize this year isn't another joke and a slap in the face of the people that actually did something.

BTW, wikileaks doesn't appear to be considered an actual contender. One person out of thousands tossing their name in means nothing.

That's a strong statement - why?

It's funny though how it will turn out. WikiLeaks is nominiated for a Nobel peace prize for essentially undermining the previous winner of the same prize.

Evo
Mentor
It's funny though how it will turn out. WikiLeaks is nominiated for a Nobel peace prize for essentially undermining the previous winner of the same prize.
:rofl:

Haha! I was just about to say the same thing! I think the person whom will win the Nobel Peace Prize is someone who has persevered to express a cause and change and has been relentless against the injustices of others. In that respect both Obama and Julian Assange encompass these qualities and both deserve to be nominated. I'm sure there are many that are just as deserving as Julian Assange but with all of the Media and controversy it just makes his case more appealing not that ti should make him any better.

Al68
The only thing I would consider unlikely now is if it was awarded to someone who deserved it. What are the odds of that?

Evo
Mentor
Haha! I was just about to say the same thing! I think the person whom will win the Nobel Peace Prize is someone who has persevered to express a cause and change and has been relentless against the injustices of others. In that respect both Obama and Julian Assange encompass these qualities and both deserve to be nominated.
You do know that Obama won last year?

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You do know that Obama won last year?
Yea sorry, that come out wrong. What I meant was that they both shared those characteristics therefore Obama's Nobel Peace Prize was justified to some extent, and so his Assange's nomination.

Obama got it last year for no reason.
For the records, Liu Xiabao was awarded the prize last year.

Last edited:
Evo
Mentor
For the records, Liu Xiabao was awarded the prize last year.
You're absolutely right!! I'm still re-living when Obama got it. :surprised

I miss-spelled his name. It should read : Liu Xiaobo :redface:
I would be interested to find out how last year's peace prize was received in China :devil:

I miss-spelled his name. It should read : Liu Xiaobo :redface:
I would be interested to find out how last year's peace prize was received in China :devil:
China responded by creating the "Confucius Prize."

China responded by creating the "Confucius Prize."
I meant the people. But yes, the government answer was indeed interesting !

russ_watters
Mentor
Kevin_Axion said:
I think the person whom will win the Nobel Peace Prize is someone who has persevered to express a cause and change and has been relentless against the injustices of others. In that respect both Obama and Julian Assange encompass these qualities and both deserve to be nominated.
Could you please explain in more detail why you think that description applies to either of them?

mheslep
Gold Member
In Egypt at the moment there are probably tens of thousands of common people all more deserving of a Peace Nobel than Assange, and risking considerably more.

In Egypt at the moment there are probably tens of thousands of common people all more deserving of a Peace Nobel than Assange, and risking considerably more.
In the context of Egypt, I have to wonder how many people were motivated by either the speech by Obama or leaked information of Assange - to take to the streets?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
It would be interesting to hear the rationale for awarding a prize to someone who had undermining diplomacy as a major goal. You'd think the Peace Prize Committee would prefer diplomacy to other interactions between nations.

It would be interesting to hear the rationale for awarding a prize to someone who had undermining diplomacy as a major goal. You'd think the Peace Prize Committee would prefer diplomacy to other interactions between nations.

Last edited by a moderator: