An unlikely Nobel Peace Prize nominee

• News
  • Thread starter waht
  • Start date
In the context of Egypt, I have to wonder how many people were motivated by [...] the speech by Obama [...] to take to the streets?
I was actually wondering about that, but I thought I would not post it here because some may feel this is too much attributing to him. I am sure Vanadium knows that history is made by tens or hundreds of thousands of individuals, while history books remember only a few leaders. The reason I was thinking about this is rather in terms of Obama's prize as an incentive to pursue the 180 degrees shift in US foreign policy in the middle east (one of the possible interpretations of the prize), which the current administration has certainly not always sustained, but at least did recently in the direct address to Mubarak.

Could you please explain in more detail why you think that description applies to either of them?

One can argue that Obama's endeavour to become president encompassed the qualities that deserves a Nobel Peace Prize Nomination. His ability to persevere against racial boundaries and unite people of all cultures in races not just nationally but globally was appalling. His speeches were powerful and he was able to achieve something that many people have waited their lives to see, and also where many have failed. Many can say he did nothing but Obama changed the course of history, he made the U.S a different place and had built hope in a society that had become torn apart over the 8 previous years. He provided a new threshold to surpass for his successors and made the U.S a more profitable, united and patriotic democracy. Yes, one can generalize his accomplishments to just becoming president but if you look deeper there was a lot more involved.

As for Julian Assange it's difficult to convince one that his actions are for "Peace". He may seem like the one destroying the established order but what he is actually doing is giving humanity what they want, Knowledge. Many people would care less about what their government is doing but it is critical to understand their actions and true intentions. Julian Assange revealed to world the extent of injustices occurring for the sake of humanity rather then to create chaos. He pulled people out of sea of naivety and showed them how deeply they were drowning in lies and corruption. Of course one is quickly convinced of the fact that he is anti-diplomatic but he has shaped elections and people's perspective of their leaders and government. That is not anti-diplomatic or treason, that is the truth and that is being honest and a civil servant for the common good of humanity and the individual.

One can argue that Obama's endeavour to become president encompassed the qualities that deserves a Nobel Peace Prize Nomination. His ability to persevere against racial boundaries and unite people of all cultures in races not just nationally but globally was appalling. His speeches were powerful and he was able to achieve something that many people have waited their lives to see, and also where many have failed. Many can say he did nothing but Obama changed the course of history, he made the U.S a different place and had built hope in a society that had become torn apart over the 8 previous years. He provided a new threshold to surpass for his successors and made the U.S a more profitable, united and patriotic democracy. Yes, one can generalize his accomplishments to just becoming president but if you look deeper there was a lot more involved.

Well, he did unite the Tea Party against his policies - I'll give you that.

Well, he did unite the Tea Party against his policies - I'll give you that.

Haha! You're right, others may feel differently but maybe that's just U.S politics or democracy in general.

For the case of Assange, there might be some less controversial contributions which one should look at in the past, at least less controversial for US citizens.

Haha! You're right, others may feel differently but maybe that's just U.S politics or democracy in general.

This is more along the lines of what I had in mind regarding President Obama:
http://www.mrc.org/biasalert/2011/20110201052226.aspx

"On Monday's Piers Morgan Tonight on CNN, disgraced former CBS anchor Dan Rather attributed the current protests in Egypt to President Obama's June 2009 speech to the Muslim world in Cairo: "He [Obama] fueled this uprising in Egypt. When he came to Cairo, let us remember, and he spoke of- listen, we stand for freedom and democracy and listening to people. The Egyptians believed his rhetoric" "

cobalt124
Gold Member
Whatever you think of Assanges actions, there is no way he is motivated by wanting peace in any meaning of the word, so a nomination for the Peace Prize is ludicrous.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Whatever you think of Assanges actions, there is no way he is motivated by wanting peace in any meaning of the word, so a nomination for the Peace Prize is ludicrous.
What, in your opinion, is he motivated by?

This is casual, not causal, but he doesn't shy away from the cameras. He seems to enjoy fame, and even infamy; that's the mark of immaturity so he may just enjoy the mess. Maybe he feels real outrage, but he's too juvenile and derailed by ego to properly express that? He doesn't strike me as a force for peace though.

My vote, would be anyone who rises to the top in Egypt and brings this to a peaceful conclusion, which leads to the elections desired.

cobalt124
Gold Member

IMO, his motivation seems to be to out the truth, regardless of the consequences. Right? Justified? These can be discussed. Contributing to peace? Certainly not in the short term, and I am sure that is not what is on his mind.

IMO, his motivation seems to be to out the truth, regardless of the consequences. Right? Justified? These can be discussed. Contributing to peace? Certainly not in the short term, and I am sure that is not what is on his mind.

What truth? I haven't seen anything earth-shaking from Wikileaks, just embarrassing for the parties involved. Supposedly there's more, but then if he's in it for sharing information why not share it? Even if you like the Wikileaks model, there's nothing special about Assange except his notoriety; leak sites have been around for years, but they usually specialize. They used to be called tabloids!

cobalt124
Gold Member
What truth? I haven't seen anything earth-shaking from Wikileaks, just embarrassing for the parties involved. Supposedly there's more, but then if he's in it for sharing information why not share it? Even if you like the Wikileaks model, there's nothing special about Assange except his notoriety; leak sites have been around for years, but they usually specialize. They used to be called tabloids!

That's my perception of him, I guess I don't really know, though I am very certain they have nothing to do with promoting peace.

I had in my mind a 180 degrees with respect to the previous policy, before his administration altogether, and in particular w.r.t. GWB. That is a relevant ingredient in Obama's peace prize (as sad as it is to admit it). For instance, France's minister of foreign affairs officially declared their opposition to Tunisia Jasmine Revolution. I have not seen the US administration commit such faux pas.

Silly me, I thought President Obama earned it for closing Guantanamo Bay?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Malim-Gul-dies-exercising-Guantanamo-Bay.html

This quote seems to sum up the opposition "Because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. "

Evo
Mentor
You guys do know that Assange is no longer in control of the leaked cables. He's very upset, and even resorted to pretending that the Norwegian newspaper that usurped him is a partner. Not according to the Norwegian paper.

As if there isn't enough intrigue around Wikileaks and its enigmatic founder, a Norwegian daily that laid hands on the same US classified documents says it has infuriated Julian Assange by playing his own game.

Since last December, the daily Aftenposten, the Nordic country's paper of reference, has been "leaking" the Wikileaks diplomatic secrets but according to its own choice and pace -- independent of the script set by Assange in a deal with five world-renowned papers.
continued...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110130/lf_afp/usdiplomacywikileaksnorwaymedia_20110130052025 [Broken]

Oh well, Assange had his 15 minutes, now he's nothing, he's been outdone at his own game. His former wikileaks partner turned against him, has a book about him coming out this month, and has started his own version of wikileaks.

The embattled WikiLeaks chief detested by governments across the globe and wanted for questioning on sex crime allegations in Sweden is now under assault from within his own ranks.

Former members of the anti-secrecy organization are staging a virtual revolt against Julian Assange, launching a spinoff site called OpenLeaks.

"We felt WikiLeaks is developing in the wrong direction. There's too much personal entanglement," Daniel Domscheit-Berg, a former top WikiLeaks member and one of the founders of OpenLeaks, told the BBC in an interview today.
continued

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/14/wikileaks-revolt-ex-assange-colleague-forms-openleaks/

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys do know that Assange is no longer in control of the leaked cables. He's very upset, and even resorted to pretending that the Norwegian newspaper that usurped him is a partner. Not according to the Norwegian paper.

continued...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110130/lf_afp/usdiplomacywikileaksnorwaymedia_20110130052025 [Broken]

Oh well, Assange had his 15 minutes, now he's nothing, he's been outdone at his own game. His former wikileaks partner turned against him, has a book about him coming out this month, and has started his own version of wikileaks.

continued

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/14/wikileaks-revolt-ex-assange-colleague-forms-openleaks/

Yeah that sounds like the Assange I imagined: Ego Uber Alle.

Last edited by a moderator: