Analysis - Convergence of n ^ 1/n

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to prove that n^(1/n) converges to 1. Suggestions include using the binomial formula, the archimedean property, and Bernoulli's inequality. The use of logarithms is also suggested, even though they have not been formally introduced in the class. One particular suggestion is to show that the limit of n^(1/n) is equal to the limit of (n-j)^(1/n) for any fixed j, but this argument is shown to be invalid. Another suggestion is to show that the limit of n^(1/n) is equal to the limit of n^(2/n), and then use the fact that the limit of n^(2/n) is equal to
pcvt
1. Prove that n^(1/n) converges to 1.

3. I've attempted to define {a} = n^1/n - 1 and have shown, using the binomial formula, that n=(1+a)^2>=1+[n(n-1)/2]*a^2. I think I'm on the right track but don't know how to bring this back to the original problem to prove convergence even after staring at it for quite a long time. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to use the following trick

[tex]n^{1/n}=e^{\log(n)/n}[/tex]

Now, can you figure ouy where [itex]\frac{\log(n)}{n}[/itex] converges to?

Try working with

[tex]\ln( n^{\frac 1 n})[/tex]

Hmm our class hasn't formally introduced logs yet so I don't know if it would be kosher or not to prove it using the log.

I'm pretty sure u are familiar with ur binomial series:

[tex]\left( \left( n-1\right) +1\right) ^{\frac{1}{n}}=\left( n-1\right) ^{\frac{%
1}{n}}+\frac{1}{n}\left( n-1\right) ^{\frac{1}{n}-1}+\frac{\frac{1}{n}\left(
\frac{1}{n}-1\right) }{2!}\left( n-1\right) ^{\frac{1}{n}-2}+...[/tex]

Since every term has 1/n except the first term, what conclusion can you draw?

Wouldnt that just say n^1/n converges to (n-1)^1/n which is trivial?

I'm trying to manipulate the binomial formula, archimedean property, and bernoullis inequality to somehow get it but still haven't been able to after a couple hours

no its not trivial. So what can u say about (n-1)^(1/n) ?

It will tend to (n-2)^(1/n) ...
It will tend to (n-3)^(1/n) ...
It will tend to (n-4)^(1/n) ...
which eventually tends to (n-(n-k))^(1/n) = k^(1/n).

Therefore ?

icystrike said:
no its not trivial. So what can u say about (n-1)^(1/n) ?

It will tend to (n-2)^(1/n) ...
It will tend to (n-3)^(1/n) ...
It will tend to (n-4)^(1/n) ...
which eventually tends to (n-(n-k))^(1/n) = k^(1/n).

Therefore ?

This argument does not work. It is true that you can conclude n^(1/n) and (n-j)^(1/n) have the same limit, for any fixed j, but you cannot continue this for j varying with n. If you _could_ ,and so have lim n^(1/n) = lim k^(1/n), then you would get 0 in the limit. But, the OP is asked to prove that the limit = 1.

RGV

Uhh. it will tend to 1 instead of 0. since it is k^0 = 1

Secondly, n-k is some integer smaller than n therefore the argument is plausible.

icystrike said:
Uhh. it will tend to 1 instead of 0. since it is k^0 = 1

Secondly, n-k is some integer smaller than n therefore the argument is plausible.

Sorry: you are right. However, `plausible` is not the same as `justified`or `provable`. The argument is still invalid.

RGV

Let [itex]f(n) = n^{1/n}[/itex]
and define [itex]x = \lim f(n)[/itex]
See if you can show that
[tex]x^2 = \lim n^{2/n}[/tex]
and
[tex]x = \lim f(n) = \lim f(n/2) = \lim n^{2/n}[/tex]
so
[tex]x^2 = x[/tex]
Then what can you conclude?

awkward said:
[snip]
[tex]\lim f(n) = \lim f(n/2) = ...[/tex]
[snip]
Somehow I thought I could justify the step above earlier, but I no longer see how to justify it. So please disregard my post. (Blush)

Ray Vickson said:
Sorry: you are right. However, `plausible` is not the same as `justified`or `provable`. The argument is still invalid.

RGV

Its not just plausible it has been justified if you feel uncomfortable with the former argument, u can expand (k+(n-k))^(1/n) such that k>n/2 then repeat the similar argument.

Last edited:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}n^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

[tex]=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\left( k+\left( n-k\right) \right) ^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

[tex]k>\frac{n}{2},\left\vert k\right\vert >\left\vert n-k\right\vert [/tex]

[tex]=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\left( k^{\frac{1}{n}}+\frac{1}{n}F\left( n-k\right)
\right) [/tex]

[tex]=1+0[/tex]

[tex]=1[/tex]

k^(1/n) = [n + (k-n)]^(1/n) = n^(1/n)*(1 - x)^(1/n), where x = (n-k)/n. For fixed k and for n --> infinity, x --> 1-, so 1-x --> 0. Showing (1-x)^(1/n) --> 1 is not trivial. We could try a binomial expansion, so F(x) = (1-x)^(1/n) = 1 - (1/n)x + (1/n)(1/n -1)x^2 /2 + ... = 1 - G, where G = (n-k)/n^2 + [(n-1)/n^2](n-k)^2/n^2] / 2 +... . Now, it is true that each term of G is O(1/n), but G is an infinite sum, so it is not clear that we can change the limiting and summation order.

Much, much easier is the suggestion of looking at L= lim n^(1/n) and showing L = lim (2n)^(1/(2n)), to give L = lim 2^(1/(2n)) * lim sqrt(n^(1/n)) and showing 2^(1/(2n)) --> 1, so that L = sqrt(L). Then we just need some way of showing L > 0, hence L = 1.

In a way, it does not make sense to dis-allow use of the logarithm because, in fact, the very problem of showing the existence of, and properties of nth roots needs some fairly sophisticated tools. Even showing the existence of the limit, let alone finding its value, needs some work, and using logs is by far the most straightforward way.

RGV

What is the concept of convergence in analysis?

Convergence in analysis refers to the behavior of a sequence or series of numbers as the number of terms increases. It describes whether the sequence approaches a specific limit or tends to infinity as the number of terms increases.

What does it mean for a sequence to converge to a limit?

A sequence converges to a limit if the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to a specific value as the number of terms increases. This means that the difference between any term and the limit becomes smaller and smaller as more terms are added to the sequence.

How is the convergence of a sequence determined?

The convergence of a sequence can be determined by analyzing its behavior as the number of terms increases. If the terms get closer and closer to a specific limit, the sequence is said to converge. If the terms do not approach a specific limit, the sequence is said to diverge.

What is the convergence criterion for the sequence n ^ 1/n?

The sequence n ^ 1/n converges to the value 1 as the number of terms increases. This can be proven using the limit comparison test or the root test, as both tests show that the sequence is equivalent to the convergent geometric series with a common ratio of 1/n.

Why is the convergence of n ^ 1/n important in analysis?

The convergence of n ^ 1/n is important in analysis because it is an example of a sequence that does not converge in the traditional sense, but still has a limit. This highlights the importance of understanding different types of convergence and their applications in mathematical analysis.