1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis: Finding limit with l'Hospital

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    I'm not sure what I did with this expression is right.

I looked at the argument as x tends to 0. I used l'Hospital twice and found that the argument tends to pi/3. Of course, tan(pi/3) = sqrt3.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/Untitled-3.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you use l'Hospital twice? Your method is legal. The result is correct.

ehild

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3
    Oops. You're right. I just used it once.

I plugged this into my TI-89 Ti, and it didn't agree with my analytical result. I suppose it's not very reliable as it didn't agree for a couple of other problems, too.

5. Nov 8, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's worth noting that you don't need to use L'Hopital's Rule at all for this problem.

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0^+}\tan\left( \frac{sin 2\pi x}{6x}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]=\tan (\lim_{x \to 0^+}\left( \frac{sin 2\pi x \cdot 2\pi x}{2\pi x \cdot 6x}\right))[/tex]
    [tex]=\tan (\lim_{x \to 0^+}\left( \frac{sin 2\pi x}{2\pi x} \cdot \frac{2\pi x}{6x}\right))[/tex]
    [tex]=\tan (\frac{\pi}{3}) = \sqrt{3}[/tex]

I used a wellknown limit, [itex]\lim_{t \to 0} \frac{sin(t)}{t} = 1[/itex] and the fact that you can interchange the limit and function, provided the function is continuous at the limiting point.

6. Nov 8, 2011 #5
    I like that method better. Ah. I didn't know that. I haven't read the section yet, but I'm sure it mentions being able to interchange the limit and function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook