Intermediate analysis homework

In summary, the conversation discusses various mathematical concepts including limits, intersections, unions, and sets. It is determined that for set (c), there are no specific numbers that are the minimum or maximum due to the set extending to negative and positive infinity. For set (e), it is concluded that there are no particular numbers that are the minimum or maximum due to the set containing irrational numbers. However, the infimum and supremum are determined to be -√5 and √5, respectively. For sets (f) and (g), the limit of the intersection and union appears to be the open interval (0,1), with no specific numbers being the minimum or maximum.
Shackleford
For (c), it looks like this set goes off to negative and positive infinity.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110904_125145.jpg

For (e), I think this is right. Since r is in the rationals, r gets arbitrarily close to the square root of 5, so there are no particular numbers that are the min, max of the set. Also, since r is in the rationals, there is no particular number that is the sup or inf.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110904_125117.jpg

For (f) and (g), the "limit" of the intersection and union appears to be the open interval (0,1). If that's the case, the answers should be the same. Since it is an open interval, 0 and 1 are not elements of the set, so there is no particular number that is the min, max. But, I could say 0 and 1 are the inf and sup, respectively. I'm not too sure about this.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110904_125132.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
C looks right, I'm pretty sure if you don't have a sup or inf, then you can't have a min or max.

I can't help you out with F and G. But, look at E again, you sure about that? Start by writing out some actual numbers within that set.

mohaque said:
C looks right, I'm pretty sure if you don't have a sup or inf, then you can't have a min or max.

I can't help you out with F and G. But, look at E again, you sure about that? Start by writing out some actual numbers within that set.

Yes. I'm sure on (e). The smallest and largest number you could have is -sqrt5 and sqrt 5. However, since r is in the rationals, that's not a valid number. You can always find a rational number that's arbitrarily close to sqrt 5. So, there is no min and max. But, I guess I could say the inf and sup are -sqrt 5 and sqrt 5, respectively.

Related to Intermediate analysis homework

1. What is intermediate analysis homework?

Intermediate analysis homework is a type of assignment that involves analyzing data and drawing conclusions based on statistical methods and techniques. It is typically assigned in intermediate level courses in fields like mathematics, statistics, and science.

2. How is intermediate analysis different from basic analysis?

Intermediate analysis builds upon the basics of data analysis, such as descriptive statistics and graphical representations, and introduces more advanced techniques like hypothesis testing, regression analysis, and ANOVA. It requires a deeper understanding of statistics and mathematical concepts.

3. What tools or software are commonly used for intermediate analysis homework?

Some commonly used tools and software for intermediate analysis homework include statistical software like R, SPSS, and SAS, as well as spreadsheet programs like Excel. These tools allow for data manipulation, visualization, and statistical calculations.

4. How can I improve my skills in intermediate analysis?

To improve your skills in intermediate analysis, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic statistical concepts and to practice regularly. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems, to further develop your skills.

5. How can intermediate analysis be applied in real-world situations?

Intermediate analysis is commonly used in various fields, such as business, healthcare, and social sciences, to make informed decisions and predictions based on data. It can be applied to analyze market trends, evaluate the effectiveness of medical treatments, and understand social behaviors, among other applications.