1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis - How many numbers in the interval [0,1) contain 5 consecutive 5's?

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let E be the set of points in [0,1) whose decimal expansion contains somewhere the block 55555. Find the measure of E.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have a feeling that in order to find the measure of E, I should find the measure of the complement of E and then subtract it from 1. The complement of E would be the points in [0,1) containing no 5's, containing no consecutive 5's, containing 2 consecutive 5's, containing 3 consecutive 5's, containing 3 consecutive 5's, or containing 4 consecutive 5's. I'm not sure how to compute the measure of this set, however.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, start your program. What the measure of all of the points that contain no 5's at all? This is rather like a Cantor set.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook