1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Question on Continuity

1. Nov 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose the function ##f:[0,1] \to \mathbb{R}## is continuous, ##f(0) > 0## and ##f(1)=0##. Prove that there is a number ## x_0 \in (0,1] : f(x_0) = 0## and ##f(x) > 0## for ##0 \leq x \leq x_0##.

2. Relevant equations
    We can't use the IVT. Additionally, the definition of continuity we have been given is, a function ##f: D \to \mathbb{R}## is continuous at ##x_0## in ##D## if whenever ##\{x_n \}## is a sequence in ##D## that converges to ##x_0## the image sequence ##\{ f(x_n) \}## converges to ##f(x_0)##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking about considering the set ##S=\{f([0,1]) \}## and using the Completeness Axiom to label the ##\inf S## then using the Bolzano-Weierstrass Theorem as part of a constructive existence proof.

Can you tell me if I'm on the right track, or is there a better way to start?

Thanks a ton!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would start with ##S=\{x\in [0,1]: f(x) = 0\}##.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  4. Nov 8, 2014 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

The only drawback there is that resort to the IVT seems necessary to show that [itex]f(x) > 0[/itex] when [itex]x < \inf S[/itex].

I would suggest instead [itex]P = \{ x \in [0,1] : \mbox{$f$ is strictly positive on $[0,x)$} \}[/itex], and all that is necessary is to show that [itex]f(\sup P) = 0[/itex].

5. Nov 8, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

True enough. I didn't notice until after I read your post that he can't use the IVT.

6. Nov 8, 2014 #5
    Don't you mean [itex]f(\sup P) > 0[/itex]?

Another route you could take to prove the result is by contradiction: Suppose that there does not exist [itex]x_0 \in (0,1][/itex] such that [itex]f(x_0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]f(x) > 0\ \forall\ x \in\ [0, x_0][/itex]. That would mean that for all [itex]x_0 \in (0,1], f(x_0) \neq\ 0[/itex] or [itex]f(x) \leq\ 0[/itex] for some [itex]x \in\ [0, x_0][/itex]. Construct a sequence: [itex]x_1, x_2, \ldots[/itex] such that it converges to 0 but the sequence [itex]f(x_1), f(x_2), \dots[/itex] does not converge to a positive number, contradicting the fact that [itex]f[/itex] is continuous.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  7. Nov 9, 2014 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

No, [itex]f(\sup P) = 0[/itex]. I'd explain why [itex]f(\sup P) > 0[/itex] is impossible, but that would be doing half of the OP's work for him.

8. Nov 9, 2014 #7
    My mistake, I thought you were saying [itex]\sup P=0[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted