Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Analysis question regarding the relationship between open and closed intervals

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1
    Let a and b be real numbers with a<b, and let x be a real number. Suppose that for each ε>0, the number x belongs to the open interval (a-ε, b+ε). Prove that x belongs to the interval [a, b].

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use double $ signs for LaTeX . Double # signs for inline LaTeX .

What have you tried?

Where are you stuck?

4. Dec 12, 2012 #3
    I tried showing that if y was in the compliment of the set then the closed interval would follow. For example, y≤a-ε and y+ε≤a. Since ε>0, we know that y<a. Thus x≥a. I used a similar proof for the upper bound. Is there a better way to do this?

5. Dec 12, 2012 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

I think your argument works, but the one which certainly works is this:

If [itex]x < a[/itex], then there exists some [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] such that [itex]x \notin (a - \epsilon, b + \epsilon)[/itex]. For example, if [itex]\epsilon = (a - x)/2[/itex] then [itex]a - \epsilon = (a + x)/2 > x[/itex].

Similarly, if [itex]x > b[/itex] then [itex]x \notin (a -\epsilon, b + \epsilon)[/itex] when [itex]\epsilon = (x - b)/2 > 0[/itex].

Hence if [itex]x \in (a -\epsilon, b + \epsilon)[/itex] for all [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] then [itex]x \geq a[/itex] and [itex]x \leq b[/itex]. Thus [itex]x \in [a,b][/itex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook