1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction to Analysis by Bilodeau. Problem 1.3.3

1. Feb 21, 2017 #1
    < Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

I couldn't find more informative title!

I find difficulties with proofs. So my solution might be weird

The problem says
    "Suppose that x is a fixed non-negative real number such that, for all positive real numbers ε, 0≤ε<x. Show that x=0."

My attempt was:
    Assume 0≤x and x <ε
    Case 1:
    0 <x
    For evey ε, 0<x and x <ε is false

Case 2:
    0=x
    For evey ε, 0=x and x <ε is true

My professor was not happy with making cases to proof the statement, and he said this is not a real proof. He suggested starting with the assumption 0 <x and from that I proof 0=x is the wanted fixed non negative real number that satisfies the statement.

I am confused. How am I supposed to proof it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you check the problem statement ?
    1 is a positive real number, but 0≤ε<0 is definitely not right for ε = 1

4. Feb 21, 2017 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've got this the wrong way round. That would force ##x## to be infinite. Instead, you should have:

##\forall \epsilon > 0, \ x < \epsilon##

For the solution, did you consider a proof by contradiction?

5. Feb 21, 2017 #4
    Oh sorry, you are right.

The question should be the following:
    "Suppose that x is a fixed non-negative real number such that, for all positive real numbers ε, 0≤x<ε. Show that x=0."

Sorry, I wrote the wrong way.

The question should be the following:
    "Suppose that x is a fixed non-negative real number such that, for all positive real numbers ε, 0≤x<ε. Show that x=0."

6. Feb 21, 2017 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Any ideas about a proof? First, perhaps, can you see and explain why it's true?

7. Feb 21, 2017 #6
    Discussion:
    x fixed non-negative real number
    ε is a positive real number

There exist no fixed non-negative real number x such that it's less than every positive number ε, except 0.

My Proof:

Assume 0≤x and x <ε
    Case 1:
    0 <x
    For every ε, 0<x and x <ε is false (Since there is always a positive number that is less than x "i.e x >ε" when 0<x. Another way to state it would be that since x and ε here are both positive real numbers, there will always be x >ε an x <ε which is a contradiction with one of the axioms)

Case 2:
    0=x
    For every ε, 0=x and x <ε is true (Since x <ε, ε≠0 "Axiom". Thus 0<ε is always true since by definition a positive real number is ε>0 )

8. Feb 21, 2017 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you've got the idea, but this proof is not really right. You need to think about a specific ##\epsilon## if ##x > 0##. Any ideas?

9. Feb 21, 2017 #8
    Well. This is confusing for me! I am supposed to find a fixed x, why should I search for a fixed ε?

Since x>0 is assumed, 0<x<ε. There is no such fixed ε that satisfy 0<x<ε for all x.

10. Feb 21, 2017 #9

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay, I claim that ##10^{-6}## is a number that is less than every positive number. How would you disprove that?

11. Feb 21, 2017 #10
    I would say that 10-7 is less than 10-6, thus 10-6 is not less than every positive number

12. Feb 21, 2017 #11

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay, so what about ##10^{-8}##?

13. Feb 21, 2017 #12
    A number that is less than 10-7, but yet not less than 10-9, which mean it is not less than every positive number

14. Feb 21, 2017 #13

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, using what you've done for these numbers, what about any number ##x > 0##? Why isn't that less than every positive number?

15. Feb 21, 2017 #14
    Because there is always a positive real number that is less than x. It also can be shown by number line: Since x>0, x/2>0 and thus x/2<x. So there is always a positive number that is less than another positive number.

16. Feb 21, 2017 #15

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Note you also have ##x \not < x##. In other words, any positive ##x## is not less than itself.

Can you do the proof now?

17. Feb 21, 2017 #16
    Proof:
    let x>0
    there exit ε for any x, 0<x<ε | this is false since there exit x>ε, which contradicts with an Axiom.
    Thus x=0 is the only non-negative real number x that satisfies 0≤x<ε (0=0<ε).

18. Feb 21, 2017 #17

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What happened to ##x/2##?

19. Feb 21, 2017 #18
    for x>0, x/2>0 which is still not less than all positive numbers ε
    for x=0, x/2=0 which is less than all positive numbers

20. Feb 21, 2017 #19

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you haven't understood the idea at all. It's difficult now to give you any more hints. Let me give you a written answer and you can try to translate that into maths:

Suppose ##x## is greater than zero, then ##x## is not less than ##x/2##, which is itself a positive number, so ##x## is not less than all positive numbers ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted