Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic proof of the Lindemann - Weierstrass Theorem

1. May 11, 2012 #1
    Hey guys,

I would like to know whether there exists a proof for the Lindemann-Weierstrass Theorem that uses only the tools and techniques of elementary analysis.

If such a proof does not exist, I would like to know what would be the mathematical knowledge required to understand the proof.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2

In this case I think that's nearly impossible: the very wording of the L-W theorem includes the notion of transcendence and fields extensions.

DonAntonio

4. May 16, 2012 #3
    Well then, what would be the minimum knowledge required to understand the proof?

Thanks in advance

5. May 16, 2012 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would suggest warming up to the proof by learning the proof in spivak's calculus that pi is irrational.

then consult the little carus mathematical monograph: irrational numbers, by ivan niven, chapter IX. in this book complete statements of all needed prerequisites are either proved, or given with references to places where they are proved, such as the carus monograph on algebraic numbers by harry pollard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook