Analytic solution to an exponential integral

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an analytic solution for an integral involving exponential and square root functions. Suggestions are made to use Taylor series expansion, substitution method, and Bessel functions. The result is obtained by adding up the sine and cosine functions and using the integral definition of I_{0}.
appelberry
Hello,

I am trying to find an analytic solution to the following:

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1}\exp(-p\sqrt{1-x^{2}}-qx)dx[/tex]

where [tex]p,q > 0.[/tex]

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! Welcome to PF!

Could you possibly tell me what exp supposed to mean ?

Regards.

Taylor series expansion of the exponential.
http://www.efunda.com/math/taylor_series/exponential.cfm

Wouldn't take care of the square root, But with your range (-1,1) You could probably get away with only the first few terms. This would be an approx. though.

Try, the substitution method.

[tex]t=e^{-p\sqrt{1-x^{2}}-qx}[/tex]

Regards.

I see no reason to think there is a closed-form expression for this.

appelberry said:
Hello,

I am trying to find an analytic solution to the following:

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1}\exp(-p\sqrt{1-x^{2}}-qx)dx[/tex]

where [tex]p,q > 0.[/tex]

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Substitute x =sin(t) and take a look at the integral representations of Bessel functions, e.g., http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BesselFunctionoftheFirstKind.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Count Iblis said:
Substitute x =sin(t) and take a look at the integral representations of Bessel functions, e.g., http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BesselFunctionoftheFirstKind.html"

Thanks Count Iblis,

I think the result does involve a Bessel function. Related to this, does anyone know how the result

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\exp(x\cos\theta + y\sin\theta)d\theta = 2\pi I_{0}(\sqrt{x^2+y^2})[/tex]

is obtained? [tex]I_{0}[/tex] is the modified Bessel function of the first kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
appelberry said:
Thanks Count Iblis,

I think the result does involve a Bessel function. Related to this, does anyone know how the result

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\exp(x\cos\theta + y\sin\theta)d\theta = 2\pi I_{0}(\sqrt{x^2+y^2})[/tex]

is obtained? [tex]I_{0}[/tex] is the modified Bessel function of the first kind.

Add up the sin and cos, like:

x sin(theta) + y cos(theta) = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) cos(theta + phi)

The value of phi doesn't matter, because the integral is over an entire period. You can substitute theta = u - phi and then the integral over u will be from minus phi to 2 pi -phi, but that is the same as integrating over y from zero to 2 pi. So, you get rid of the phi this way.

And then it is just a matter of using the integral definition of I_{0}

Count Iblis said:
Add up the sin and cos, like:

x sin(theta) + y cos(theta) = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) cos(theta + phi)

The value of phi doesn't matter, because the integral is over an entire period. You can substitute theta = u - phi and then the integral over u will be from minus phi to 2 pi -phi, but that is the same as integrating over y from zero to 2 pi. So, you get rid of the phi this way.

And then it is just a matter of using the integral definition of I_{0}

Excellent, thanks Count Iblis!

1. What is an exponential integral?

An exponential integral is a mathematical function that involves the integration of an exponential function. It is commonly used in various scientific and engineering applications, such as in solving differential equations, calculating probability distributions, and evaluating complex integrals.

2. What is an analytical solution to an exponential integral?

An analytical solution to an exponential integral is a closed-form expression that can be used to calculate the integral without the need for numerical approximations. It is typically expressed in terms of elementary functions, such as logarithms, trigonometric functions, and power functions.

3. How is an exponential integral solved analytically?

An exponential integral can be solved analytically using various techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and series expansion. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the integral and the desired level of accuracy.

4. What are the benefits of using an analytical solution to an exponential integral?

Using an analytical solution to an exponential integral can provide a faster and more accurate calculation compared to numerical methods. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and can be used to derive other related equations and formulas.

5. How is an analytical solution to an exponential integral applied in real-world problems?

An analytical solution to an exponential integral is used in a wide range of fields, including physics, biology, economics, and engineering. It can be applied to solve problems involving growth and decay, population dynamics, diffusion processes, and many other phenomena that can be modeled using exponential functions.