Analytically solve second-order coupled ODE (damping term coupled)

In summary: Hint? Whatever it was, it was very helpful! :)In summary, the system of coupled second-order ODEs can be solved using Laplace transforms or by reducing it to a second-order autonomous linear ODE with constant coefficients. Solving the latter leads to a general solution of the form z(t) = Ae^{rt} + Bte^{rt}, with four linearly-independent real-valued solutions possible. Given the specific conditions of the problem, the solutions for x(t) and y(t) are found to be x(t) = Utcos(Ωt) and y(t) = -Ut sin(Ωt), satisfying the initial conditions.
chilge

Homework Statement

I need to (analytically) solve a system of coupled second-order ODEs:
(A) [itex]\frac{du}{dt} - fv = \Omega^2x[/itex]
(B) [itex]\frac{dv}{dt} + fu = \Omega^2y[/itex]

where

[itex]u = \frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]
[itex]v = \frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]

subject to the initial conditions [itex]u(t=0) = U[/itex] and [itex]v(t=0) = 0[/itex].

Homework Equations

---

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) I first converted the ODEs to:
[itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} - f\frac{dy}{dt} = \Omega^2x[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2} + f\frac{dx}{dt} = \Omega^2y[/itex]

and then added and subtracted them to get:
[itex]\frac{d^2(x+y)}{dt^2} - f\frac{d(x-y)}{dt} = \Omega^2(x+y)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d^2(x-y)}{dt^2} - f\frac{d(x+y)}{dt} = \Omega^2(x-y)[/itex]

then making the substitution
[itex]\alpha = x + y[/itex]
[itex]\beta = x - y[/itex]

which just leads me to the exact problem I started with.

Since I got stuck here, I tried it a different way...

(2) Making note that, from (B), [itex]u=\frac{1}{f}(\Omega^2y - \frac{dv}{dt})[/itex]. Plugging into A, we get:
[itex]\frac{1}{f}(\Omega^2\frac{dy}{dt} - \frac{d^2v}{dt^2})-fv=\Omega^2x[/itex]
(...after rearranging...)
[itex]\frac{d^2v}{dt^2} + v(f-\frac{\Omega^2}{f}) = -\Omega^2x[/itex]

Since [itex]v=\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex], this is now a third order coupled ODE (after we do something similar to above for [itex]u[/itex]), and I don't know how to solve it.

Does anyone know where to go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
chilge said:

Homework Statement

I need to (analytically) solve a system of coupled second-order ODEs:
(A) [itex]\frac{du}{dt} - fv = \Omega^2x[/itex]
(B) [itex]\frac{dv}{dt} + fu = \Omega^2y[/itex]

where

[itex]u = \frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]
[itex]v = \frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]

subject to the initial conditions [itex]u(t=0) = U[/itex] and [itex]v(t=0) = 0[/itex].

Homework Equations

---

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) I first converted the ODEs to:
[itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} - f\frac{dy}{dt} = \Omega^2x[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2} + f\frac{dx}{dt} = \Omega^2y[/itex]

and then added and subtracted them to get:
[itex]\frac{d^2(x+y)}{dt^2} - f\frac{d(x-y)}{dt} = \Omega^2(x+y)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d^2(x-y)}{dt^2} - f\frac{d(x+y)}{dt} = \Omega^2(x-y)[/itex]

then making the substitution
[itex]\alpha = x + y[/itex]
[itex]\beta = x - y[/itex]

which just leads me to the exact problem I started with.

Since I got stuck here, I tried it a different way...

(2) Making note that, from (B), [itex]u=\frac{1}{f}(\Omega^2y - \frac{dv}{dt})[/itex]. Plugging into A, we get:
[itex]\frac{1}{f}(\Omega^2\frac{dy}{dt} - \frac{d^2v}{dt^2})-fv=\Omega^2x[/itex]
(...after rearranging...)
[itex]\frac{d^2v}{dt^2} + v(f-\frac{\Omega^2}{f}) = -\Omega^2x[/itex]

Since [itex]v=\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex], this is now a third order coupled ODE (after we do something similar to above for [itex]u[/itex]), and I don't know how to solve it.

Does anyone know where to go from here?

It looks like the easiest way to solve your system is to use Laplace transforms. Let ##X = X(s) = {\cal L}[x(t)](s)## and ##Y = Y(s) = {\cal L}[y(t)](s)##, then get two coupled linear equations for ##X(s),Y(s)##. You would need to use standard results for relating the Laplace transforms of ## x'(t)## and ##x''(t)## to that of ##x(t)##, etc.

Ray Vickson said:
It looks like the easiest way to solve your system is to use Laplace transforms. Let ##X = X(s) = {\cal L}[x(t)](s)## and ##Y = Y(s) = {\cal L}[y(t)](s)##, then get two coupled linear equations for ##X(s),Y(s)##. You would need to use standard results for relating the Laplace transforms of ## x'(t)## and ##x''(t)## to that of ##x(t)##, etc.
Hi Ray,

Thank you for your suggestion! It's been quite awhile since I've seen Laplace transforms and had forgotten about them. Unfortunately I ran into a bit of trouble when trying to find a solution...

##{\cal L}\{x(t)\}=X(s)##
##{\cal L}\{\frac{dx}{dt}\} = sX(s) - x(0) = sX(s)## (with the initial condition ##x(t=0) = 0##)
##{\cal L}\{\frac{du}{dt}\} = s^2X(s) - u(0) = s^2X(s) - U##

and

##{\cal L}\{y(t)\}=Y(s)##
##{\cal L}\{\frac{dy}{dt}\} = sY(s) - y(0) = sX(s)## (with the initial condition ##y(t=0) = 0##)
##{\cal L}\{\frac{dv}{dt}\} = s^2Y(s) - v(0) = s^2Y(s) ##

Then, taking the Laplace transforms of the coupled ODEs in the problem statement, we get:
##s^2X(s) + U - fsY(s) = \Omega^2X(s)##
##s^2Y(s) + fsX(s) = \Omega^2Y(s)##

Isolating ##X## from the second equation, we get ##X(s) = \frac{Y(s)(\Omega^2 - s^2)}{fs}##

Then, plugging into the first equation,
##s\frac{Y(s)(\Omega^2 - s^2)}{fs} + U - fsY(s) = \Omega^2\frac{Y(s)(\Omega^2 - s^2)}{fs}##

Leading to
##Y(s)=\frac{-U}{\frac{\Omega^2s - s^3}{f}-fs-\frac{\Omega^4 - s^2\Omega^2}{fs}} = \frac{fUs}{f^2s^2 + s^4 - 2s^2\Omega^2 + \Omega^4}##

I don't see how I can decompose this into partial fractions so that I can get ##y(t) = {\cal L}^{-1}\{Y(s)\}##. Have I gone wrong somewhere or is this problem not solvable using Laplace transforms?

If you set [itex]z = x + iy[/itex] then your system reduces to the second-order autonomous linear ODE with constant coefficients[tex]
\frac{d^2 z}{dt^2} + if\frac{dz}{dt} - \Omega^2 z = 0[/tex] subject to [itex]z'(0) = U[/itex]. The standard method of solving such ODEs will still work even though one of the coefficients is not real, so the general solution will be [tex]z(t) = Ae^{k_1 t} + Be^{k_2 t}[/tex] where [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are complex constants and [itex]k_1[/itex] and [itex]k_2[/itex] are the roots of [tex]k^2 + ifk - \Omega^2 = 0.[/tex] It is possible to obtain four linearly-independent real-valued solutions from this general solution.

pasmith said:
If you set [itex]z = x + iy[/itex] then your system reduces to the second-order autonomous linear ODE with constant coefficients[tex]
\frac{d^2 z}{dt^2} + if\frac{dz}{dt} - \Omega^2 z = 0[/tex] subject to [itex]z'(0) = U[/itex]. The standard method of solving such ODEs will still work even though one of the coefficients is not real, so the general solution will be [tex]z(t) = Ae^{k_1 t} + Be^{k_2 t}[/tex] where [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are complex constants and [itex]k_1[/itex] and [itex]k_2[/itex] are the roots of [tex]k^2 + ifk - \Omega^2 = 0.[/tex] It is possible to obtain four linearly-independent real-valued solutions from this general solution.
Hi pasmith,

Thank you for your suggestion! That did the trick, and I was able to come up with a solution for ##x(t)## and ##y(t)##. I forgot to mention in my problem statement that ##f=2\Omega##, so the characteristic equation ##k^2+ifk-\Omega^2## has a double root, and the solution is of the form ##z(t)=Ae^{rt}+Bte^{rt}##.

My solutions were
##x(t) = Utcos(\Omega t)##
##y(t) = -Utsin(\Omega t)##
which satisfy the initial coupled ODEs.

Thank you again for your help!

Another possible approach: You have
\begin{eqnarray*}
\dot{x} &= u \\
\dot{y} &= v \\
\dot{u} &= fv + \Omega^2 x \\
\dot{v} &= -fu + \Omega^2 y
\end{eqnarray*} which you can solve using matrix methods.

vela said:
Another possible approach: You have
\begin{eqnarray*}
\dot{x} &= u \\
\dot{y} &= v \\
\dot{u} &= fv + \Omega^2 x \\
\dot{v} &= -fu + \Omega^2 y
\end{eqnarray*} which you can solve using matrix methods.

Hi vela, I only know how to solve the matrix problem numerically. Do you know how I can get an analytical solution with matrix methods?

1. What are second-order coupled ODEs?

Second-order coupled ODEs, or second-order ordinary differential equations, are equations that involve two or more variables and their derivatives with respect to a single independent variable. These equations can be coupled, meaning that the variables depend on each other, or they can be uncoupled, meaning that they are independent of each other.

2. What is a damping term in a second-order coupled ODE?

A damping term in a second-order coupled ODE is a term that represents the dissipation of energy in a system. It is typically represented by a coefficient multiplied by the first derivative of the dependent variable, and it can have a significant impact on the behavior of the system over time.

3. Can second-order coupled ODEs be solved analytically?

Yes, second-order coupled ODEs can be solved analytically, meaning that a closed-form solution can be found using mathematical techniques. However, these solutions can be complex and may not always be possible to find, especially for more complicated systems. In these cases, numerical methods may be used instead.

4. How is a second-order coupled ODE solved analytically?

To solve a second-order coupled ODE analytically, the equation must be rearranged into a standard form, where the highest derivative term is isolated on one side and all other terms are on the other side. The solution is then found by integrating both sides of the equation and applying initial conditions to determine any unknown constants.

5. What are some real-world applications of second-order coupled ODEs with damping terms?

Second-order coupled ODEs with damping terms have many real-world applications, including modeling the motion of a pendulum, the oscillation of a spring, and the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in engineering and physics to describe the behavior of systems that involve energy dissipation.