Analyzing a Complex Structure for Statics Project

In summary: Knowing that the structure is in equilibrium, we want to analyze those balanced forces and show how they cause the structure to be in equilibrium . I think your suggestion of doing an analysis of whether or not the structure is balanced in the sense of weight distribution would be a good thing to discuss in the report. Basically, I think our instructor just wants us to show all the balanced forces. It is not a very easy structure to analyze though because of its shape and many members. There are no measurements either for mass or lengths of members, not to mention the angle the u/v shaped piece in the middle makes.
J0sh8830
Hello everyone! I am not actually posting this discussion regarding a homework problem. But I wanted to get some ideas from you all about how to approach the analysis of a structure I am looking at for a Statics Project. The structure is very complex, and my project partner and I are trying to see what might be a good way to approach the problem. We were thinking to either construct it in 3D and neglect the weight of the structure and as a whole and assume an applied force or to analyze the structure by analyzing the forces in each individual member. I thought some of you might have some advice for which method might work best. Thanks so much for your time! I have attached a picture of the structure. The rod in the foreground is pointing slightly forward and to the left, while the rod in the back is tilted slightly to the back and to the right. Here is a link with some dimensions of the structure:

http://www.texassculpturegroup.org/artistswork/crossthiss72/
Josh

Sculpture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
J0sh8830 said:
Hello everyone! I am not actually posting this discussion regarding a homework problem. But I wanted to get some ideas from you all about how to approach the analysis of a structure I am looking at for a Statics Project. The structure is very complex, and my project partner and I are trying to see what might be a good way to approach the problem. We were thinking to either construct it in 3D and neglect the weight of the structure and as a whole and assume an applied force or to analyze the structure by analyzing the forces in each individual member. I thought some of you might have some advice for which method might work best. Thanks so much for your time! I have attached a picture of the structure. The rod in the foreground is pointing slightly forward and to the left, while the rod in the back is tilted slightly to the back and to the right. Here is a link with some dimensions of the structure:

http://www.texassculpturegroup.org/artistswork/crossthiss72/
Josh

View attachment 108912

What are you wanting to analyze? Do you want to calculate deflections? Stresses at the welded joints?

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
What are you wanting to analyze? Do you want to calculate deflections? Stresses at the welded joints?

I am sorry, I should have been more clear in what we are looking for. We are supposed to look at it and analyze it as a structure in equilibrium. As you can see it is quite complex, but we are supposed to use equilibrium conditions and equations to analyze the sculpture. Thank you!

berkeman said:

J0sh8830 said:
We are supposed to look at it and analyze it as a structure in equilibrium. As you can see it is quite complex, but we are supposed to use equilibrium conditions and equations to analyze the sculpture.

I still don't really understand what you want to do - if it hasn't fallen over or broken then it is in equilibrium - no calculations needed .

Can I make a guess ? You actually want to do an analysis of whether the structure is balanced in the sense of weight distribution so that there are no large net forces trying to topple the structure ?

Likes berkeman
Nidum said:
I still don't really understand what you want to do - if it hasn't fallen over or broken then it is in equilibrium - no calculations needed .

Can I make a guess ? You actually want to do an analysis of whether the structure is balanced in the sense of weight distribution so that there are no large net forces trying to topple the structure ?

Knowing that the structure is in equilibrium, we want to analyze those balanced forces and show how they cause the structure to be in equilibrium . I think your suggestion of doing an analysis of whether or not the structure is balanced in the sense of weight distribution would be a good thing to discuss in the report.

Basically, I think our instructor just wants us to show all the balanced forces. It is not a very easy structure to analyze though because of its shape and many members. There are no measurements either for mass or lengths of members, not to mention the angle the u/v shaped piece in the middle makes.

1. What is the purpose of analyzing a complex structure for statics project?

The purpose of analyzing a complex structure for statics project is to determine the internal forces and stresses within the structure, and ensure that it can withstand the applied loads and remain in equilibrium.

2. What are the steps involved in analyzing a complex structure for statics project?

The steps involved in analyzing a complex structure for statics project include: identifying all external and internal forces, drawing a free body diagram, applying equilibrium equations, determining reactions and internal forces, and checking for stability and safety.

3. What types of software or tools are commonly used for analyzing a complex structure for statics project?

Some commonly used software or tools for analyzing a complex structure for statics project include finite element analysis (FEA) software, structural analysis software, and hand calculation methods using equations and diagrams.

4. How do you ensure accuracy in analyzing a complex structure for statics project?

To ensure accuracy in analyzing a complex structure for statics project, it is important to use appropriate units, follow the correct procedures and equations, double check calculations, and consider any assumptions made during the analysis.

5. What are some common challenges faced when analyzing a complex structure for statics project?

Common challenges faced when analyzing a complex structure for statics project include dealing with non-uniform or changing loads, accounting for material properties and structural geometry, and ensuring the structure remains in equilibrium under all possible loading scenarios.