1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Industrial project related to structural Integrity and failure

1. Jun 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am doing my internship at Saint Gobain Glass India, Chennai . I have been allotted a project to work in my time at the company .

The problem is related to failure of an Mild Steel beam supporting graphite structure in the process line . As such this beam is exposed to molten glass flowing beneath at 650 K and the entire structure (MS Beam + Graphite rods ) are at around 10 mm from the glass . The MS Beam is constantly cooled by water lines through it and maintained at around 330 K and leveled timely using a screw jack at both ends whenever the MS beam sags due to its weight and graphite structure and after sometime its failing . They asked me to study more about the problem giving the causes and possible solutions to tackle such problem as the beam is costing about 10 lakhs INR .

2. Relevant equations

{ DUNNO :( except for the deflections of beams supported at ends and some theory related creep.}

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking the beams are deforming over time permanently due to CREEP .

please can anyone tell e more about the cause of problem....

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This isn't my subject but...

If the water cooling keeps the beam at 60C I doubt temperature is a problem. I suspect you might get better answers if you post the dimensions of the beam and the load.

4. Jun 17, 2013 #3
    MS Beam Dimensions : 6 m * 200 mm * 140 mm
    Load : self weight ( 500 Kg ) + graphite rod-4m ( about 200 Kg )

5. Jul 23, 2013 #4
    Mild Steel beam melting point 1400 K, so 330 K is not problem. I think should be consider expand when heated and contract when cooled, also like you said constantly cooled by water lines, but it is very hard to keep 300 K all the time, some times 400 K, some times 250 K. what do you think?

For screw jack, should be used enough load capacity, precision positioning, self locking acme screw jack, or high precision ball screw jack with brake mechanism. Same as worm gear screw jack for rollers gap adjustment, please visit http://www.screw-jack.com/info/application-rolling-mill-roller-adjustment.html

Hope above information is helpful for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted