Analyzing Gain Curve for 741 Op-Amp

In summary, the homework statement attached has questions about how to estimate the amount of dB's lost during one octave of a frequency reduction, and how to find the closed loop bandwidth for a desired gain. Regarding part a, it is recommended that you approximate the number of dB's lost during one octave to be about 8 db/octave. Regarding part b, the student is not sure how to proceed and is in need of help. After solving the problem with full resolution log-log graph paper, the student will be able to solve this question intuitively without the aid of graph paper. Finally, it was suggested that the student scan and post their solution to this problem.
maherelharake

Homework Statement

I have attached the graph, and questions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, do I just have to estimate how many db's are lost during one octave? One octave is halving of frequency, so could part a be approximated to be about 8 db/octave?
For part b, I'm not sure what to do, so any help is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
maherelharake said:

Homework Statement

I have attached the graph, and questions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, do I just have to estimate how many db's are lost during one octave? One octave is halving of frequency, so could part a be approximated to be about 8 db/octave?
For part b, I'm not sure what to do, so any help is appreciated. Thanks

The plot you are given does not have very good resolution. I'd recommend that you google log-log graph paper, and re-draw the plot on that paper. That will give you the resolution to be able to answer the questions.

Are you suggesting I print it out and redraw it on a new sheet? Unfortunately, I don't think my drawing ability will be as good as the given, computer-generated plot. Is there no way to use the one I uploaded? Thanks.

maherelharake said:
Are you suggesting I print it out and redraw it on a new sheet? Unfortunately, I don't think my drawing ability will be as good as the given, computer-generated plot. Is there no way to use the one I uploaded? Thanks.

Yes, that is my suggestion for you to solve this problem set, and to learn how to solve this type of problem in the future. Once you solve it with full resolution log-log graph paper, you will understand how to solve this question intuitively without graph paper.

It would be good if you could scan and post your solution to this problem. That would help to teach other students who are encountering similar problems.

I dunno. The graph provided seems to give a pretty good indication that there's a drop of 100 dB over 4 decades. dB/decade ≈ 3.322 db/octave. The "3.322" comes about as the ratio of the logs of the bases -- log(10)/log(2).

I can definitely try to post some solutions when I get it all sorted out.

As far as how you got that number 3.322, I'm still a bit unsure about how it was attained. I agree with the 100 dB over 4 decades, so why wouldn't it be 25 instead of 3.322?
Thanks.

3.322 is not the answer. It's the scaling factor that relates dB/decade to dB/octave.

dB's are logs of ratios. Over a decade, the frequency changes by a factor of 10. Over an octave it changes by a factor of 2. log(10)/log(2) = 3.322. You can take the logs in any base you wish, and the ratio of them will be the same: ln(10)/ln(2) = 3.322.

Ohh. So since the dB/decade is about 25, I would have to multiply that by 3.322 to get the ultimate gain fall-off in terms ofdB/octave?

Try dividing. A decade contains several octaves. dB/decade ≈ 3.322 db/octave so that db/octave ≈ (db/decade)/3.332.

Ahh right. So about 7.5 db/octave. My initial rough estimate was fairly close. Great.

Any hints for part b?
Thanks

The Gain-Bandwidth product should come in handy for part b. You can read its value right off your plot, and use it to determine the closed-loop bandwidth for the required gain.

Have a look http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/tutorials/MT-033.pdf" .

Last edited by a moderator:
It says the closed-loop bandwidth is equal to gain bandwidth product divided by noise gain. Would the gain-bandwidth product just be 100? I'm not sure how to get the noise gain in this case though.

The gain-bandwidth-product is equal to the unity-gain-bandwidth, which is equal to the frequency where the open loop gain is unity (1 x freq = freq). Your graph crosses the zero dB line at 105 Hz. So that should be your UGBW.

The NG, or "noise gain" is just nomenclature for the closed loop gain.

Now, you want a closed loop gain of 300. So 300*BW = UGBW. BW = 333.3 Hz.

Seems small, but heck, the op-amp appears to crap out entirely at only 100 kHz, and has a critical frequency for open loop gain at less than 10Hz.

Oh ok. Gotcha. Thanks for all your help.

1. What is a gain curve for a 741 op-amp?

The gain curve for a 741 op-amp is a graph that shows the relationship between the input voltage and the output voltage of the op-amp. It is used to determine the amplification capabilities of the op-amp and can vary depending on the frequency of the input signal.

2. How is the gain curve for a 741 op-amp analyzed?

The gain curve for a 741 op-amp can be analyzed by measuring the output voltage for various input voltages and plotting them on a graph. The slope of the curve at a certain point represents the gain of the op-amp at that input voltage.

3. What is the ideal gain curve for a 741 op-amp?

The ideal gain curve for a 741 op-amp is a straight line with a slope equal to the open-loop gain of the op-amp. This means that the output voltage will be a constant multiple of the input voltage, regardless of the frequency of the input signal.

4. How does the gain curve change with different feedback configurations?

The gain curve for a 741 op-amp can be altered by using different feedback configurations, such as inverting, non-inverting, or summing amplifiers. These configurations will affect the slope of the gain curve at different input voltages and can change the overall amplification capabilities of the op-amp.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the gain curve for a 741 op-amp?

The accuracy of the gain curve for a 741 op-amp can be affected by factors such as temperature, power supply voltage, and component tolerances. These can cause variations in the open-loop gain of the op-amp and can result in a non-ideal gain curve. Additionally, external noise and interference can also impact the accuracy of the gain curve.