Analyzing panel indicator bulbs in accident investigations

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Accident
In summary: If the glass envelope breaks while the filament is cold, it will not oxidise until the filament cools and contracts again.This method has been used by police to find out if a car had its lights switched on in an accident.This method has been used by police to find out if a car had its lights switched on in an accident.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
At 19:00 of the video below, an investigator makes the statement.
"also if you have some indication panels for example with bulbs in it, you can after a crash, you can analyze the different wires in the bulbs and then you can determine which for example indications or even warnings were active at the moment of impact."

Langauge may be a factor here. By wires, I assume he means the filaments of incandescent bulbs. Not the signal or power wires leading to the bulb.

I can imagine that a hot filament is more brittle and likely to break on impact than a cold one. But I have a hard time believing that this is a dependable method of accident investigation.

Has anyone else heard of this method? What about auto accident investigations? Has this ever been used as evidence in court?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I heard of this many years ago - I think it an old idea and used by police to find out if a car had its lights switched on in an accident.

• Informative
Likes anorlunda
tech99 said:
I heard of this many years ago - I think it an old idea and used by police to find out if a car had its lights switched on in an accident.

Many years ago there was definitely such a case in Poland, police car going without lights caused an accident and state of filaments was one of the things checked during the forensic investigation (sadly, police and attorneys did everything to cover the case and to accuse people reporting that car had no lights on of false reports/statements).

• Informative
Likes anorlunda
anorlunda said:
I can imagine that a hot filament is more brittle and likely to break on impact than a cold one. But I have a hard time believing that this is a dependable method of accident investigation.

Has anyone else heard of this method?
A hot filament is stretched by the deceleration to form a large loop.
A cold filament may break away from the supports, but fragments will remain tightly coiled.
If the glass envelope breaks while the filament is hot, it will immediately oxidise.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, Borek, Tom.G and 1 other person

1. What is the purpose of analyzing panel indicator bulbs in accident investigations?

The purpose of analyzing panel indicator bulbs in accident investigations is to determine if any of the indicators were activated during the accident, which can provide valuable information about the sequence of events and potential causes of the accident.

2. How are panel indicator bulbs analyzed in accident investigations?

Panel indicator bulbs are typically analyzed by examining their physical condition, such as whether they are damaged or burned out, and by checking their electrical connections to ensure they were functioning properly at the time of the accident.

3. What type of information can be gathered from analyzing panel indicator bulbs?

By analyzing panel indicator bulbs, investigators can gather information about the status of various systems in the vehicle, such as the engine, brakes, and airbags. This can help determine if any of these systems were malfunctioning or if there were any warning signs prior to the accident.

4. Are there any limitations to analyzing panel indicator bulbs in accident investigations?

Yes, there are limitations to analyzing panel indicator bulbs. For example, if the indicator bulbs were damaged during the accident, they may not accurately reflect the status of the systems at the time of the accident. Additionally, some indicator bulbs may not be connected to a specific system, making it difficult to determine their significance.

5. How can the findings from analyzing panel indicator bulbs be used in accident investigations?

The findings from analyzing panel indicator bulbs can be used to support other evidence gathered in the accident investigation. They can also help identify any potential issues with the vehicle's systems that may have contributed to the accident, which can be useful for future prevention and safety measures.