Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

And another one on Lorentz invariance

1. Feb 27, 2007 #1
    It is clear that a conserved current [tex]\partial_{\mu} J^\mu = 0[/tex] implies the existence of a conserved charge [tex]Q= \int d^3x J^0 [/tex]. Now I want to go the other way round: Suppose we have a basis of momentum eigenstates, such that these states are also eigenstates of the charge. Then clearly the charge commutes with the energy operator and is thus conserved but can we say anything else about the 4-vector current by for example invoking Lorentz invariance? It would be nice if there was a way to deduce [tex]\partial_{\mu} J^\mu = 0[/tex] but I do not see how that is possible

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2007 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

If I understood you correctly, you would like to derive local conservation from global conservation. I don't think that it is possible. The requirement of local conservation is much stronger than that of global one.

4. Feb 28, 2007 #3
    Thanks that is what I thought.

5. Mar 4, 2007 #4

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

6. Mar 4, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the relpy. That result amazes me and I will definitely look up the theorem! Could you elaborate on what you mean by saying that the symmetry is manifest? Under what conditions can I assume [tex]Q|0> = 0[/tex] ? Please let me know.

7. Mar 4, 2007 #6
    Could you also name a reference where I can find a proof of the Coleman theorem? Thanks in advance

8. Mar 6, 2007 #7
    I now know why we need Q|0>=0 and what it means, but could somebody please tell me where to find the theorem of Sidney Coleman samalkhaiat was talking about. Thanks in advance

9. Mar 7, 2007 #8

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?