Angle Addition Formula for three angles?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of sin(\alpha - \beta + \gamma) and using the angle addition formula to expand and simplify the expression. The student is having trouble with the expansion for three angles, but is unsure if it matters which pair of angles is chosen to let equal theta. The experts in the conversation confirm that it does not matter and encourage the student to try it and see. They also note that the student made a mistake in the expansion for four angles and provide the correct version.
PFStudent

Homework Statement

How do I find,

[tex]
sin\left(\alpha - \beta + \gamma\right) = ?
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
sin\left(\alpha\pm\beta\right) = sin\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos\beta \pm cos\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin\beta
[/tex]

and

[tex]
cos\left(\alpha\pm\beta\right) = cos\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos\beta \mp sin\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin\beta
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
sin\left(\alpha - \beta + \gamma\right) = ?
[/tex]

I know how to do it for four distinct angles,

[tex]
sin\left(\alpha + \beta + \gamma + \psi\right) = ?
[/tex]

Where, let

[tex]
\alpha + \beta = \theta
[/tex]

[tex]
\gamma + \psi = \phi
[/tex]

And then expand, using the earlier identity I mentioned,

[tex]
sin\left(\theta + \phi\right) = sin\theta{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos\phi + cos\theta{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin\phi
[/tex]

[tex]
sin\left(\theta + \phi\right) = sin(\alpha + \beta){\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos(\gamma + \psi) + cos(\alpha + \beta){\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin(\gamma + \psi)
[/tex]

[tex]
sin\left(\theta + \phi\right) = [sin\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos\beta + cos\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin\beta]{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}[cos\gamma{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos\psi - sin\gamma{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin\psi] + [cos\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos\beta - sin\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin\beta]{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}[sin\gamma{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos\psi + cos\gamma{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin\psi]
[/tex]

[tex]
sin\left((\alpha + \beta) + (\gamma + \psi)\right) = [sin\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos\beta + cos\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin\beta]{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}[cos\gamma{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos\psi - sin\gamma{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin\psi] + [cos\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos\beta - sin\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin\beta]{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}[sin\gamma{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos\psi + cos\gamma{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin\psi]
[/tex]

[tex]
sin\left(\alpha + \beta + \gamma + \psi\right) = [sin\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos\beta + cos\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin\beta]{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}[cos\gamma{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos\psi - sin\gamma{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin\psi] + [cos\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos\beta - sin\alpha{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin\beta]{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}[sin\gamma{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}cos\psi + cos\gamma{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}sin\psi]
[/tex]

However, for three angles, is where I am stumped.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you can do four, why can't you do three?

Let

[tex]
\alpha + \beta = \theta
[/tex]

[tex]
\gamma = \gamma
[/tex]

Hey,

Thanks for the quicky reply Doc Al, I hesitated to do that because was not sure if the folowing was true,

[tex]
sin\left(\alpha + \beta + \gamma\right) = sin\left((\alpha + \beta) + \gamma\right) = sin\left(\alpha + (\beta + \gamma)\right)
[/tex]

The reason I ask is if any quantity (in the parentheses) can be let equal theta and expanded will they all be equal?

That is where I was unsure. That if you took each scenario I mentioned,

[tex]
sin\left((\alpha + \beta) + \gamma\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
sin\left(\alpha + (\beta + \gamma)\right)
[/tex]

And let the quantity in parentheses equal theta and applied the angle addition formula, would they still all be equal?

Or does it matter which pair of angles you let equal theta (i.e. does the answer change if you pick two different pairs)?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Unfortunately, you also did the four angle one wrong. First expand [tex]sin\left(\theta + \phi\right)[/tex] and then put the definitions of theta and phi in and keep expanding. Each term should have trig functions of four angles in it. You expanded [tex]sin\left(\theta \right)+ sin\left(\phi\right)[/tex].

Last edited:
PFStudent said:
That is where I was unsure. That if you took each scenario I mentioned,

[tex]
sin\left((\alpha + \beta) + \gamma\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
sin\left(\alpha + (\beta + \gamma)\right)
[/tex]

And let the quantity in parentheses equal theta and applied the angle addition formula, would they still all be equal?
They better be! (That's the associative property of addition.)

Or does it matter which pair of angles you let equal theta (i.e. does the answer change if you pick two different pairs)?
Try it and see! :wink:

Dick said:
Unfortunately, you also did the four angle one wrong.
Thanks for checking, Dick. (I obviously didn't.)

Last edited:
Hey,

Thanks for the help guys, I edited my original post to reflect the correct expansion for angle addition of four angles.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

1. What is the angle addition formula for three angles?

The angle addition formula for three angles states that the sum of three angles is equal to the sum of two angles plus the third angle. It can be written as: A + B + C = A + (B + C).

2. How is the angle addition formula for three angles derived?

The angle addition formula for three angles can be derived by using the properties of parallel lines and transversals. By drawing a diagram, it can be shown that the sum of two adjacent angles is equal to the sum of two opposite interior angles. This can be extended to three angles by adding a third line to the diagram.

3. Can the angle addition formula be used for any type of angles?

Yes, the angle addition formula for three angles can be used for any type of angles, including acute, right, obtuse, and reflex angles. It is a general formula that holds true for all types of angles.

4. How is the angle addition formula for three angles different from the formula for two angles?

The angle addition formula for two angles states that the sum of two angles is equal to the angle formed by their union. On the other hand, the angle addition formula for three angles states that the sum of three angles is equal to the sum of two angles plus the third angle. This formula is an extension of the formula for two angles.

5. What is the practical application of the angle addition formula for three angles?

The angle addition formula for three angles has many practical applications, especially in geometry and trigonometry. It is used to calculate the measures of angles in various geometric figures, such as triangles, polygons, and circles. It is also used in solving equations involving angles and in proving geometric theorems.