1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle between two tangent lines

1. Jan 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://www.xtremepapers.com/Edexcel/Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/Subject%20Sorted/C3/Elmwood%20Papers/Elmwood%20B.pdf [Broken]

Question 8(b)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I found both values of dy/dx for BOTH EQUATIONS

y = x2 - 4x → 2x - 4
    y = |4x - x2| → |4 - 2x| could someone please claify this, I have never differentiated a modulus before

Thus the two gradients of the lines are 4 and -4 BUT HOW DO I GO ON TO FIND THE angle between the tangents??

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]|4x- x^2|= |x(4- x)|[/itex] and is equal to [itex]4x- x^2[/itex] for x between 0 and 4 but equal to [itex]x^2- 4x[/itex] for x< 0 or x> 4. That is, its derivative if 4- 2x for x between 0 and 4 and equal to 2x- 4 for x< 0 or x> 4. At x= 4, there is a "cusp" so technically, there is no derivative. Of course, you are interested in the curve between 0 and 4 so you really want [itex]\lim_{x\to 4^-} 4- 2x= -4[/itex] as you say.

To find the angle between the lines remember that the derivative is the tangent of the angle the curve makes with the horizontal. And that
    [tex]tan(\theta- \phi)= \frac{tan(\theta)- tan(\phi)}{1+ tan(\theta)tan(\phi)}[/tex]

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    I never knew this
    is this A-level maths or beyond?
    could you please explain why this is true?

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's usually taught in Calculus when you first learn about derivatives representing the slope of the tangent line.

It's often taught in trigonometry that the slope of a line is equal to the tangent of the angle the line makes with the x-axis.

6. Jan 21, 2012 #5
    thanks for this :)
    I will note this rule!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook