Solving Tangent Lines for 2 Graphs: x1,x2

In summary, the equation of the line that is tangent to the graphs at (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) is 2x1 = -2x2+6.
Michele Nunes

Homework Statement

Sketch the graphs of y=x2 and y= -x2+6x-5, and sketch the two lines that are tangent to both graphs. Find equations of these lines.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that a tangent line to both graphs means that the tangent line will touch the first graph at (x1,y1) and the second graph at (x2, y2) and at these separate points, the derivatives will be equal. So my first equation looks like 2x1 = -2x2+6, however I'm stuck on what other equation I'm supposed to use to solve for both x-variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the sketch, I suppose ?
A line is ##y = ax + b##; its intersections with the two parabolas follow from two quadratic equations that both have to have only one solution.

BvU said:
You have the sketch, I suppose ?
A line is ##y = ax + b##; its intersections with the two parabolas follow from two quadratic equations that both have to have only one solution.
I'm sorry but I still don't understand how that relates to what I'm supposed to do. They're supposed to have only one solution to what? If I set ax+b equal to the quadratic equations, there's still too many variables for me to solve for which is where I'm confused.

Maybe this will help. Let ##P=(a,a^2)## be an unknown point on the parabola ##y=x^2##. Write the equation of the tangent line at that ##P##. Of course, it will depend on the unknown ##a##, but that's OK.
Now look at a general point on the second parabola: if ##x=b## then ##y = -b^2+6b-5##, so the general point on that parabola is ##Q=(b,-b^2+6b-5)##. Now what needs to happen for the tangent line to the first parabola at ##P## to be tangent to the second parabola at ##Q##? That should give you some equations in ##a## and ##b## to work with. Sorry, I changed your notation a bit to avoid all the subscripts.

LCKurtz said:
Maybe this will help. Let ##P=(a,a^2)## be an unknown point on the parabola ##y=x^2##. Write the equation of the tangent line at that ##P##. Of course, it will depend on the unknown ##a##, but that's OK.
Now look at a general point on the second parabola: if ##x=b## then ##y = -b^2+6b-5##, so the general point on that parabola is ##Q=(b,-b^2+6b-5)##. Now what needs to happen for the tangent line to the first parabola at ##P## to be tangent to the second parabola at ##Q##? That should give you some equations in ##a## and ##b## to work with. Sorry, I changed your notation a bit to avoid all the subscripts.
The derivatives have to be equal at P and Q, right? So I set the derivatives equal, but I need another equation in order to solve for both variables. Is there something I can do with the original equations? I can't set them equal though because the points don't happen at the same y-value.

The tangent line at ##P## must pass through ##Q##.

Likes Michele Nunes
LCKurtz said:
The tangent line at ##P## must pass through ##Q##.
I finally got it, I've been working on this problem for so long. Thank you so much!

1. What is the purpose of solving tangent lines for 2 graphs?

The purpose of solving tangent lines for 2 graphs is to determine the point where the two graphs intersect, known as the point of tangency. This can provide valuable information about the relationship between the two graphs and can be used to calculate important values such as slope and rate of change.

2. How do you solve for tangent lines for 2 graphs?

To solve for tangent lines for 2 graphs, you must first find the equations of the two graphs. Then, you can use the derivative of each equation to find the slope at a given point. Finally, you can set the two slope equations equal to each other and solve for the point of tangency.

3. What is the importance of finding tangent lines for 2 graphs?

Finding tangent lines for 2 graphs can help in understanding the behavior and relationship between the two functions. It can also be useful in finding the maximum and minimum values of the graphs and can be applied in various real-world scenarios such as in physics and engineering.

4. Can you find tangent lines for 2 graphs with different types of functions?

Yes, tangent lines can be found for any type of function, including linear, quadratic, exponential, and trigonometric functions. The process of solving for tangent lines is the same, regardless of the type of functions involved.

5. What are some common applications of solving tangent lines for 2 graphs?

Solving tangent lines for 2 graphs has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It can be used to determine the velocity and acceleration of moving objects, optimize production or sales, and create accurate computer-generated graphics.