Angle observed in rest frame related to relativity

In summary: Suppose the observer is at rest in the origin of his coordinate system. The ruler passes by. At the time A passes the origin, the light from B that was emitted when B was at 2.6 m in the coordinate system of the observer reaches the observer. So your picture number 1.But that's the wrong kind of reasoning. I can't even get it to work properly for me...##\
songoku
Homework Statement
The front of a spacecraft forms a point at an angle of 60 degrees. As the spacecraft increases speed, what happens to this angle as observed in the rest frame?
A. It stays the same.
B. It decreases.
C. It increases.
D. It decreases only if the spacecraft is going to the left.
E. It decreases only if the spacecraft is going to the right
Relevant Equations
Time dilation

Length contraction
My answer is (A) since I think the motion of the spacecraft will alter the length of the spacecraft (length contraction) but not changing the orientation so the angle will stay the same

But my teacher said my answer is wrong. What is my mistake?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps take a fresh look at length contraction and how it relates to specific motion. Your mistake is quite fundamental and it's hard to give you a hint without giving away the answer.

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
Perhaps take a fresh look at length contraction and how it relates to specific motion. Your mistake is quite fundamental and it's hard to give you a hint without giving away the answer.
1636026306374.png

Is that the correct position of the angle? Thanks

songoku said:
View attachment 291756
Is that the correct position of the angle? Thanks
What's the direction of motion?

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
What's the direction of motion?
Parallel to the spacecraft

songoku said:
Parallel to the spacecraft .
So, you're assuming that the spaceship is moving at an angle of 60 degrees to some fixed axis?

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
So, you're assuming that the spaceship is moving at an angle of 60 degrees to some fixed axis?
Yes, that's how I interpret the question

songoku said:
Yes, that's how I interpret the question
Under that assumption, the answer is clearly A. What assumption would you make if you know the answer is D?

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
Under that assumption, the answer is clearly A. What assumption would you make if you know the answer is D?
1636040289096.png

Is that what you mean? The angle is between a fixed point and the front tip of the spaceship and since the length of the ship contracted while moving to the left, the angle will decrease?

Thanks

songoku said:
View attachment 291769
Is that what you mean? The angle is between a fixed point and the front tip of the spaceship and since the length of the ship contracted while moving to the left, the angle will decrease?

Thanks
The important thing missing from all your diagrams is an arrow indicating the direction of motion of the spaceship!

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
The important thing missing from all your diagrams is an arrow indicating the direction of motion of the spaceship!
I assume the spaceship is always moving in the direction it is facing. Is not correct? Like the spaceship can move horizontally to the right while its front tip making angle 60o to the horizontal?

Thanks

songoku said:
Like the spaceship can move horizontally to the right while its front tip making angle 60o to the horizontal?
That must be the assumption if the answer is D. Bad question?

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
That must be the assumption if the answer is D. Bad question?
Asked the teacher and he said the answer is (C), not sure what kind of assumption needed for that one.

I would say this is crazy question. It just does not make sense to think the spaceship can move horizontally when it is not facing horizontal

Hi @songoku ,

I read the exercise statement as follows:
The front of a spaceship is a cone with a tip angle of 60 degrees (in the spaceship rest frame). The ship moves along the x-axis wrt an observer on that x-axis. What does the observer see as the cone tip angle ?

1636112284983.png

Sometimes a fancy drawing is confusing ... :wink:

##\ ##

Likes songoku and PeroK
BvU said:
Hi @songoku ,

I read the exercise statement as follows:
The front of a spaceship is a cone with a tip angle of 60 degrees (in the spaceship rest frame). The ship moves along the x-axis wrt an observer on that x-axis. What does the observer see as the cone tip angle ?

View attachment 291807
Sometimes a fancy drawing is confusing ... :wink:

##\ ##
Wow that's how I suppose to interpret the question. The difference is not about the drawing but about the brain capacity...:wink:

I want to ask again about length contraction (but this is not homework). Suppose I have a ruler of length 3 m and it moves with high speed to the right so the length seen by stationary observed is contracted to, let say, 2.6 m

What would be the correct diagram?
1636121943888.png

1) Position of A does not change and B is more to the left
2) Position A is more to the right and B does not change
3) A is more to the right and B is more to the left

I only know the length is contracted but I don't know which diagram will be seen by our eyes.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1636121826725.png
    1636121826725.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 1636121895369.png
    1636121895369.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 55
Hehe, depends on WHEN ! Space and time can no longer be considered separately in this context. You have to think in terms of events that are described with a time and a place.

Suppose the observer is at rest in the origin of his coordinate system. The ruler passes by. At the time A passes the origin, the light from B that was emitted when B was at 2.6 m in the coordinate system of the observer reaches the observer. So your picture number 1.

But that's the wrong kind of reasoning. I can't even get it to work properly for me when the observer picks the moment B passes his origin... :frown:

The old and naive textbook I consulted uses three pages to treat this, nicely showing that the length contraction is symmetrical. Based on the fact that each measurement of a length involves two events that are described differently in the two frames that are linked by a Lorentz transform.

BvU said:
MIT gamelab have a nice relativity game. It won't help you with your time dilation conundrum, but perhaps it will with demystifying the blurring o0)
It appears to still exist and it's fun to explore. The 'cone tip angle increase effect' sure has some interesting relatives :smile:

Other thread with some more links here

##\ ##

Likes songoku
BvU said:
The old and naive textbook I consulted uses three pages to treat this, nicely showing that the length contraction is symmetrical.
What does it mean by symmetrical?

Thanks

Means that the guy in the moving rocket also sees a tip angle of more than 60 degrees on the spare spaceship parked on the gound next to the observer

Likes songoku
Thank you very much for the help and explanation PeroK and BvU

1. What is the angle observed in a rest frame in relation to relativity?

The angle observed in a rest frame in relation to relativity is the angle between two objects or events as measured by an observer in a frame of reference that is not moving relative to the objects or events being observed.

2. How is the angle observed in a rest frame affected by relativity?

According to the theory of relativity, the angle observed in a rest frame can be affected by the relative velocities of the observer and the objects or events being observed. This can result in a phenomenon known as relativistic aberration, where the angle observed may appear distorted or shifted due to the observer's motion.

3. Can the angle observed in a rest frame change over time due to relativity?

Yes, the angle observed in a rest frame can change over time due to relativity. This is because the relative velocities of the observer and the objects or events being observed can change, resulting in a change in the angle observed. This is particularly evident in cases of high speeds and significant differences in velocities.

4. How is the angle observed in a rest frame calculated in relativity?

The angle observed in a rest frame is calculated using the laws of special relativity, which take into account the relative velocities of the observer and the objects or events being observed. This calculation involves the use of mathematical equations and can be complex depending on the specific scenario being analyzed.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the angle observed in a rest frame in relation to relativity?

Yes, there are practical applications of understanding the angle observed in a rest frame in relation to relativity. This knowledge is important in fields such as astrophysics and space travel, where objects are moving at high velocities and the effects of relativity must be taken into account in order to make accurate observations and calculations.