Angle of deviation and angle of incidence?

In summary, the problem involves finding the angle of deviation for a red ray passing through a prism given the index of refraction for violet and red light in silica flint glass. The equation n1θ1 = n2θ2 is used to solve for the angle of deviation, and the angular dispersion for visible light with the same angle of incidence is also requested. The initial angle of incidence for the red ray may have been incorrectly used as the apex angle.
DrMcDreamy

Homework Statement

This is a two part problem:

11) The index of refraction for violet light in silica flint glass is 1.66, and that for red light is 1.62.

attachment.php?attachmentid=32014&stc=1&d=1297118306.jpg

What is the angle of deviation for the red ray passing through a prism of apex angle 59.6◦ if the angle of incidence is 54.8◦? Answer in units of◦.

12) What is the angular dispersion of visible light with the same angle of incidence? Answer in units of◦.

Homework Equations

n1[tex]\theta[/tex]1=n2[tex]\theta[/tex]2

The Attempt at a Solution

My work:

attachment.php?attachmentid=32015&stc=1&d=1297118424.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=32017&stc=1&d=1297118618.jpg

Can you tell me if I did it right? TIA. Sorry for the bad pics & handwriting!

Attachments

• DSC06486.jpg
    DSC06486.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,020
  • oiuoiu.jpg
    oiuoiu.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 937
  • jjbhobgho.jpg
    jjbhobgho.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 774
Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody?!

*BUMP* Anybody?!

I think you've used the apex angle for the initial angle of incidence of the red ray.

I figured it out ^thanks

What is the angle of deviation?

The angle of deviation is the angle between the incident ray and the refracted ray as they pass through a medium with different refractive indices. It is a measure of how much the direction of a light ray changes when passing through a medium.

How is the angle of deviation calculated?

The angle of deviation can be calculated using Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two media. The angle of deviation is then calculated by subtracting the angle of incidence from the angle of refraction.

What is the relationship between the angle of deviation and the angle of incidence?

The angle of deviation and the angle of incidence are directly related. As the angle of incidence increases, the angle of deviation also increases. This is because a larger angle of incidence results in a greater change in direction of the light ray when passing through a medium with a different refractive index.

How does the angle of deviation affect the bending of light?

The angle of deviation determines the amount of bending that will occur when a light ray passes through a medium with a different refractive index. A larger angle of deviation results in a greater bending of the light ray, while a smaller angle of deviation results in less bending.

What factors can affect the angle of deviation?

The angle of deviation can be affected by several factors, including the refractive indices of the two media, the angle of incidence, and the wavelength of the light. It can also be affected by the shape and thickness of the medium through which the light is passing.