Angled Rod w Float Attached -- Force of Float

In summary: What is the rod + float expected to do anyway? Control a throttle valve or fill valve?Control a throttle valve.
mrapple
Hi!

A ridged rod is submerged in water at a 45 degree angle toward the bottom of a tank of water. The upper end of the rod is fixed to a pivot point and so, the lower end of the rod is able to move around that pivot point. The lower end of the rod has a float attached to that displaces 50lb of water. The rod length is 15 feet. How do I calculate how many Lb of upward force the float has at any given point along its' journey upwards toward the surface. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

What is the application? Is the upper hinge attached to a dock or something?

The float will always have a vertical buoyant force of 50 lbs due to it's displacement.
But we don't know the float density, or how much the float weighs.

According to Archimedes' principle, the float exerts an upward force on whatever is attached to it that is equal to the weight of the water it displaces. How much water weight does the float displace?

kuruman said:
How much water weight does the float displace?
mrapple said:
The lower end of the rod has a float attached to that displaces 50lb of water.
If the float has a density over one, or a mass of 50 lbs or more, it will sink.

Baluncore said:
If the float has a density over one, or a mass of 50 lbs or more, it will sink.
Forgive me, but a float that sinks would not be called a "float"; it could be called a "sinker". I think the intention of the problem's author is that the float exerts an upward force of 50 lbs. Otherwise, we would be provided with more information. It is entirely possible that @mrapple , being new, has not provided all there is.

kuruman said:
I think the intention of the problem's author is that the float exerts an upward force of 50 lbs. Otherwise, we would be provided with more information.
Then the question:
mrapple said:
How do I calculate how many Lb of upward force the float has at any given point along its' journey upwards toward the surface.
is answered.

I suspect, once the correct question is identified, the answer will include;
Force = buoyancy * Cos( declination angle )

Baluncore said:
Agreed. After lots more personal research on my part, I think I've decoded the OP's question...

1650496411212.png

http://waynesthisandthat.com/birds.html

• Love
Likes kuruman
Baluncore said:
Then the question:

is answered.

Do I use Sin instead if the angle is decreasing right?

mrapple said:
Do I use Sin instead if the angle is decreasing right?
That will depend on which way you measure the angle, from the vertical or the horizontal. But if the angle is 45°, it does not make any difference.

Terms to google

I am trying to produce a water fed engine. This isn't homework. I do not have a physics degree. I can't find the answer online as when you google equilibrium they all refer to a situation where the rod is perpendicular to the ground. You said it won't make a difference at a 45 degree angle. What if the 1st class lever is at a 60 degree angle and is outside of the tub of water (i.e. just in the air). Can you give me some directions as to terms to google or what equations should I use?

Thanks

mrapple said:
I am trying to produce a water fed engine.
Do you mean like a water turbine to generate electricity, or a perpetual motion machine?

Likes jbriggs444
Turbine. Perpetual motion machines don't work

Likes berkeman
I know that force times distance on each side is used to calculate equilibrium. What I am trying to figure out is if the heavier side will always cause it to point straight downward or somewhere in between at an angle not perpendicular to the ground?

If the the lever is not balanced then unless there is some other constraint you have not mentioned it will reach equilibrium only when it is vertical.

mrapple said:
I know that force times distance on each side is used to calculate equilibrium. What I am trying to figure out is if the heavier side will always cause it to point straight downward or somewhere in between at an angle not perpendicular to the ground?
Without a drawing, it is hard to guess what you mean. Perhaps there is a float in the water and a weight attached to a portion of the rod that extends out of the water. In that case, I see no possibility for a stable equilibrium other than directly vertical or flat horizontal.

What is the rod + float expected to do anyway? Control a throttle valve or fill valve?

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
Without a drawing, it is hard to guess what you mean.
Yes, I think a drawing and an explation of what you are trying to do (rather than what you are trying to calculate) is needed.

1. What is an angled rod with float attached?

An angled rod with float attached is a scientific apparatus used to demonstrate the relationship between the force of a float and the angle at which it is submerged in a liquid. It consists of a rod with a float attached to one end and a weight attached to the other end.

2. How does the angle of the rod affect the force of the float?

The force of the float is directly proportional to the angle at which it is submerged. This means that as the angle increases, the force of the float also increases.

3. What is the purpose of using an angled rod with float attached?

The purpose of this apparatus is to demonstrate the principles of buoyancy and the relationship between the force of a float and the angle at which it is submerged. It can also be used to calculate the density of a liquid.

4. How is the force of the float calculated?

The force of the float can be calculated by multiplying the density of the liquid by the volume of the float that is submerged. This can be represented by the equation F = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the liquid, V is the volume of the float, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What factors can affect the force of the float in this experiment?

The force of the float can be affected by several factors, including the density of the liquid, the volume of the float, the angle at which it is submerged, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as the shape and weight of the float may also have an impact.