Moment of inertia and angular velocity

In summary, the discussion revolved around calculating the moment of inertia of a disc rotating about a pivot and determining the angular speed at its lowest point when released from rest. The relevant equations used were Id = Icm + md^2 and a = r*γ, a=g for part (a), and (ωf)^2 = (ωi)^2 + 2*γ*θ for part (b). There was also a brief discussion about the relevance of angular acceleration and its dependence on the moment of inertia. It was concluded that the final angular velocity can be found by using the equation (final angular velocity)^2 = (initial angular velocity)^2 + 2*angular acceleration*angular displacement.
nomorenomore

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=67419&stc=1&d=1394286461.jpg

(a) Calculate the moment of inertia I of the disc when it rotates about the pivot as shown in the figure.
(b) If the disc is released from rest, determine the angular speed, ω, of the disc at its lowest point.

Homework Equations

a) Id = Icm + md^2
Icm = 1/2*M*R^2
b) a = r*γ, a=g
(ωf)^2 = (ωi)^2 + 2*γ*θ

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Id = Icm + md^2
= 1/2MR^2 + 5(0.3^2)
= 1/2*5*0.3^2 + 5(0.3^2)
= 0.675 kg/m^2

b) a = r*γ, a=g, γ = g/r
θ = ¼*2pi
(ωf)^2 = (ωi)^2 + 2*γ*θ
ωf = sqrt(2*g/r*1/4*2pi) = sqrt(2*9.8/0.3*1/4*2pi = 10.1 rad/s

Am I doing the question correctly?
Thank you very much.

Attachments

• q5pImid.jpg
    q5pImid.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 604
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what the "relevant equation" for (b) means.

voko said:
I am not sure what the "relevant equation" for (b) means.

b) a = r*γ, a=g
(ωf)^2 = (ωi)^2 + 2*γ*θ

Oh, I'm sorry for this.
I was trying to show that

linear acceleration = radius * angular acceleration,
where linear acceleration = gravitational acceleration, in this case

(final angular velocity)^2 = (initial angular velocity)^2 + 2*angular acceleration*angular displacement

Don't you think angular acceleration should depend on the moment of inertia?

Besides, why do you think it will be constant?

Your calculations and equations seem correct. However, it would be helpful to provide more context and information about the figure and the disc in order to fully understand and validate your solution. Additionally, it would be beneficial to show the units for each value and to properly label your final answer. Overall, your approach seems reasonable and your solution appears to be correct. Well done!

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is often referred to as the rotational equivalent of mass.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a rigid body depends on its mass, shape, and the axis of rotation. It is calculated by taking the sum of the product of each individual mass element and its respective distance from the axis of rotation squared.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's angular displacement. It is a vector quantity, with magnitude representing the speed of rotation and direction indicating the axis of rotation.

4. How is angular velocity related to moment of inertia?

The angular velocity of an object is directly proportional to its moment of inertia. This means that as the moment of inertia increases, the angular velocity decreases, and vice versa.

5. What is the difference between moment of inertia and angular momentum?

Moment of inertia measures an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion, while angular momentum measures an object's tendency to continue its rotational motion. Moment of inertia is dependent on the object's mass and shape, while angular momentum is dependent on its mass, velocity, and radius of rotation.