Moment of inertia and angular velocity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
nomorenomore
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


attachment.php?attachmentid=67419&stc=1&d=1394286461.jpg


(a) Calculate the moment of inertia I of the disc when it rotates about the pivot as shown in the figure.
(b) If the disc is released from rest, determine the angular speed, ω, of the disc at its lowest point.

Homework Equations



a) Id = Icm + md^2
Icm = 1/2*M*R^2
b) a = r*γ, a=g
(ωf)^2 = (ωi)^2 + 2*γ*θ

The Attempt at a Solution



a) Id = Icm + md^2
= 1/2MR^2 + 5(0.3^2)
= 1/2*5*0.3^2 + 5(0.3^2)
= 0.675 kg/m^2

b) a = r*γ, a=g, γ = g/r
θ = ¼*2pi
(ωf)^2 = (ωi)^2 + 2*γ*θ
ωf = sqrt(2*g/r*1/4*2pi) = sqrt(2*9.8/0.3*1/4*2pi = 10.1 rad/s

Am I doing the question correctly?
Thank you very much.
 
Attachments
  • q5pImid.jpg
    q5pImid.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 702
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what the "relevant equation" for (b) means.
 
voko said:
I am not sure what the "relevant equation" for (b) means.

b) a = r*γ, a=g
(ωf)^2 = (ωi)^2 + 2*γ*θ

Oh, I'm sorry for this.
I was trying to show that

linear acceleration = radius * angular acceleration,
where linear acceleration = gravitational acceleration, in this case

(final angular velocity)^2 = (initial angular velocity)^2 + 2*angular acceleration*angular displacement
 
Don't you think angular acceleration should depend on the moment of inertia?

Besides, why do you think it will be constant?