Angular acceleration in revs/s^2

When you do this, you get 114 rev/s. This value is correct and when you plug it into the formula α = w/t, you get the right answer for angular acceleration. The reason why it comes out right whether you use angular velocity or revolutions is because both are just different ways of expressing the same thing.
vorcil
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/858/masteringf.jpg

my attempt,

[tex]\alpha[/tex]= dw/dt

550-150 = 400 rev/min change

400/3.5 = 114 revs

that wasn't right so i tried
114*60, which gives -6857 revs^-2

can someone help please? I'm not sure if I've got this whole revolution thing correct in my head lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Convert rev/min to rev/s

rl.bhat said:
Convert rev/min to rev/s

why does angular acceleration come out right whether you use Angular velocity or revolutions?

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = w/t

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = revolutions/t

You can express angular velocity either in rev/min or rad/s.
In the problem α should be rev/s^2. So you have to convert rev/min to rev/s.

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the speed at which an object rotates. It is typically measured in revolutions per second squared (revs/s^2).

How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is a = (Δω)/t, where a represents angular acceleration, Δω represents the change in angular velocity, and t represents the change in time.

What is the difference between angular acceleration and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to the change in rotational speed of an object, while linear acceleration refers to the change in linear velocity, or speed in a straight line. Angular acceleration is measured in revs/s^2, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

What factors affect angular acceleration?

The factors that affect angular acceleration include the mass and shape of the object, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the distance from the axis of rotation at which the force is applied. In general, a larger force applied further away from the axis of rotation will result in a greater angular acceleration.

How is angular acceleration used in real-world applications?

Angular acceleration is an important concept in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to study the motion of rotating objects, such as wheels, gears, and planets. It is also used in the design and analysis of machinery and vehicles that involve rotational motion.