Homework SolutionAngular Acceleration of a Fan

In summary, the electric fan's angular velocity decreases uniformly from 500 rev/min to 200 rev/min in 4.00 s, resulting in an angular acceleration of -1.25 rev/s^2. However, to determine the number of revolutions made by the motor in the 4.00 s interval, the initial angular velocity is needed.
valeriex0x
angular acceleration of a fan!

Homework Statement

An electric fan is turned off, and its angular velocity decreases uniformly from 500 rev/min to 200 rm rev/min in 4.00 s.
Find the angular acceleration in rev/s and the number of revolutions made by the motor in the 4.00 interval.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got -1.25 for alpha in rev/sec^2, which is correct.

How come the number of revolutions isn't 5 revolutions?
(alpha) (time)=
(-1.25)(4 sec)=5 rev (-5) rev

Physics news on Phys.org

Acceleration x time = velocity, not distance!

ohhhhhhhhhhh... ok thanks. hmmm... I'm not sure what formula i should use. i was going to try x=xo+vot+1/2at^2 but i can;t. .....

valeriex0x said:
ohhhhhhhhhhh... ok thanks. hmmm... I'm not sure what formula i should use. i was going to try x=xo+vot+1/2at^2 but i can;t. .....

Why not? (assuming of course that you'd use the angular form of the equation)

i don't have xo right?
we didn't cover this yet...

valeriex0x said:
i don't have xo right?
we didn't cover this yet...

Assume xo is zero. The count of revolutions (distance) begins, and the clock starts ticking, at the instant the fan is turned off.

okay so :

0+(-1.25 rev/s^2)(4 sec)+ 1/2(-1.25 rev/s^2)(4^2)
x=-5.00+ -12.50
x=-17.50

how do i make this angular?

valeriex0x said:
okay so :

0+(-1.25 rev/s^2)(4 sec)+ 1/2(-1.25 rev/s^2)(4^2)
x=-5.00+ -12.50
x=-17.50

how do i make this angular?

You're using angular values, so it's angular.

But you've got a problem. You're using an acceleration where the initial angular velocity is required.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which the angular velocity of an object changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing, while linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's linear speed is changing. In other words, angular acceleration involves changes in direction, while linear acceleration involves changes in speed.

3. How is angular acceleration of a fan calculated?

The angular acceleration of a fan can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is represented by the symbol alpha (α) and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

4. What factors can affect the angular acceleration of a fan?

The angular acceleration of a fan can be affected by several factors such as the torque applied to the fan, the moment of inertia of the fan blades, and any external forces (such as air resistance) acting on the fan.

5. How does the angular acceleration of a fan impact its performance?

The angular acceleration of a fan can impact its performance by affecting its rotational speed and the amount of air it can circulate. A higher angular acceleration can result in a faster rotational speed and a stronger airflow, while a lower angular acceleration can result in a slower speed and weaker airflow.