Angular acceleration of a rigid rod with a mass at both ends

In summary, a rigid rod of mass M and length L rotates about a frictionless pivot through its center of mass. Two particles of masses m1 and m2 are attached at the ends of the rod, with m2 being larger. The torque equation for the system is τ=Iα=Frsinθ. The calculated inertia for the system is (M/12 + (m1 + m2)/4)L2, and the angle between the position vector r and the force F is 90-θ. The total torque on the system is the sum of the torques from each mass, with the forces acting in opposite directions and therefore being subtracted. The angular acceleration is then determined by the torque and inertia, with the
hs764
1. A rigid rod of mass M and length L rotates in a vertical plane about a frictionless pivot through its center of mass. Particles of masses m1 and m2 are attached at the ends of the rod. Determine the angular acceleration of the system when the rod makes an angle θ with the horizontal.
In the accompanying picture, m2 is obviously larger and the rod is rotating clockwise.

2. τ=Iα=Frsinθ

3. The inertia I calculated for the system is (M/12 + (m1 + m2)/4)L2. I think that the angle between position vector r and the force F would be 90 - θ. So then the angular acceleration α would be m2g(L/2)sin(90 - θ) / I? I'm confused about whether or not the force of gravity on m1 also needs to be taken into account and if so, how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you need to take into account all of the forces acting on the system when you compute the torque. First order of business: How do you define the torque?

It's the product of the rotational inertia and the angular acceleration. I know the angular acceleration is at/r, so would I need to subtract (m1g)/(L/2) from (m2g)/(L/2) to get this?

Not in terms of the inertia and the acceleration, in terms of the forces acting on the object.

Like τ = (r)(Fsinθ)?

Yes. So the forces on each of the masses are going to provide a torque around the pivot. What is then the total torque?

τ = (L/2)(m2gsin(90-θ) + (L/2)(m1gsin(90-θ) ?

I guess I'm not sure if they need to be added or subtracted.

Do the forces tend to accelerate the rod in the same or in opposite directions?

Opposite, so they'd be subtracted?

Correct. You have to define a direction for the torque, if the force acts to accelerate the object in that direction, the torque is positive. If it tries to spin it in the other, the torque is negative.

So, α = [((m2g-m1g)Lsin(90 - θ))/2] / [(M/12 + (m1 + m2)/4)L2]? Was my calculation of the inertia correct?

Yes, the inertia seems correct. Just also note that sin(90o - x) = cos(x).

Right - thank you!

1. What is the formula for calculating angular acceleration of a rigid rod with a mass at both ends?

The formula for calculating angular acceleration of a rigid rod with a mass at both ends is α = (2Fdsinθ) / (ml²), where α is the angular acceleration, F is the force applied, d is the distance between the force and the center of mass, θ is the angle between the applied force and the rod, m is the mass of the rod, and l is the length of the rod.

2. What is the difference between angular acceleration and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, while linear acceleration is the rate of change of linear velocity. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

3. How does the distribution of mass affect the angular acceleration of a rigid rod?

The distribution of mass affects the angular acceleration of a rigid rod because it affects the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The greater the mass is concentrated towards the ends of the rod, the greater the moment of inertia and the less the angular acceleration will be for a given force.

4. Can the angular acceleration of a rigid rod with a mass at both ends be negative?

Yes, the angular acceleration of a rigid rod with a mass at both ends can be negative. A negative angular acceleration means that the rod is rotating in the opposite direction of the applied force.

5. How does the angle between the applied force and the rod affect the angular acceleration?

The angle between the applied force and the rod affects the angular acceleration because it affects the lever arm, which is the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the line of action of the force. The greater the angle, the smaller the lever arm, and therefore the smaller the torque and angular acceleration will be for a given force.