1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular acceleration of a rigid rod with a mass at both ends

1. Mar 24, 2015 #1
    1. A rigid rod of mass M and length L rotates in a vertical plane about a frictionless pivot through its center of mass. Particles of masses m1 and m2 are attached at the ends of the rod. Determine the angular acceleration of the system when the rod makes an angle θ with the horizontal.
    In the accompanying picture, m2 is obviously larger and the rod is rotating clockwise.

2. τ=Iα=Frsinθ

3. The inertia I calculated for the system is (M/12 + (m1 + m2)/4)L2. I think that the angle between position vector r and the force F would be 90 - θ. So then the angular acceleration α would be m2g(L/2)sin(90 - θ) / I? I'm confused about whether or not the force of gravity on m1 also needs to be taken into account and if so, how.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you need to take into account all of the forces acting on the system when you compute the torque. First order of business: How do you define the torque?

4. Mar 24, 2015 #3
    It's the product of the rotational inertia and the angular acceleration. I know the angular acceleration is at/r, so would I need to subtract (m1g)/(L/2) from (m2g)/(L/2) to get this?

5. Mar 24, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not in terms of the inertia and the acceleration, in terms of the forces acting on the object.

6. Mar 24, 2015 #5
    Like τ = (r)(Fsinθ)?

7. Mar 24, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. So the forces on each of the masses are going to provide a torque around the pivot. What is then the total torque?

8. Mar 24, 2015 #7
    τ = (L/2)(m2gsin(90-θ) + (L/2)(m1gsin(90-θ) ?

9. Mar 24, 2015 #8
    I guess I'm not sure if they need to be added or subtracted.

10. Mar 24, 2015 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do the forces tend to accelerate the rod in the same or in opposite directions?

11. Mar 24, 2015 #10
    Opposite, so they'd be subtracted?

12. Mar 24, 2015 #11

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct. You have to define a direction for the torque, if the force acts to accelerate the object in that direction, the torque is positive. If it tries to spin it in the other, the torque is negative.

13. Mar 24, 2015 #12
    So, α = [((m2g-m1g)Lsin(90 - θ))/2] / [(M/12 + (m1 + m2)/4)L2]? Was my calculation of the inertia correct?

14. Mar 24, 2015 #13

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the inertia seems correct. Just also note that sin(90o - x) = cos(x).

15. Mar 24, 2015 #14
    Right - thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted