Angular acceleration problem - fishing reel

In summary: I'll try it.In summary, the conversation discusses the angular acceleration of a fishing reel when a fish pulls on the line with a force of 2.2 N. The fishing reel is a solid cylinder with a radius of 0.049 m and a mass of 0.82 kg. The formula used to calculate the angular acceleration is RT/I, but the initial result of 54.7536 rad/s^2 was incorrect. After considering the moment of inertia and using the correct formula of 1/2 MR^2, the final answer is determined to be 109.5072 rad/s^2.
FlipStyle1308
A fish takes the bait and pulls on the line with a force of 2.2 N. The fishing reel, which rotates counterclockwise without friction, is a solid cylinder of radius 0.049 m and mass 0.82 kg.

What is the angular acceleration of the fishing reel?

I used angular acceleration = RT/I, and got 54.7536 rad/s^2, but the answer is not correct. Anyone know why? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
FlipStyle1308 said:
A fish takes the bait and pulls on the line with a force of 2.2 N. The fishing reel, which rotates counterclockwise without friction, is a solid cylinder of radius 0.049 m and mass 0.82 kg.

What is the angular acceleration of the fishing reel?

I used angular acceleration = RT/I, and got 54.7536 rad/s^2, but the answer is not correct. Anyone know why? Thanks!

Two thoughts (I did not check your number). Are you sing Webassign? You have tried with fewer decimals? And what did you use for the moment of inertia?

Yes, I am using WebAssign. I have not tried with fewer decimals. For the moment of inertia, I used 0.04018...mr^2 = (0.82)(0.049)^2.

FlipStyle1308 said:
Yes, I am using WebAssign. I have not tried with fewer decimals. For the moment of inertia, I used 0.04018...mr^2 = (0.82)(0.049)^2.

I am confused.. what is the 0.04018?

In any case, for a colid cylinder, I = 1/2 M R^2

I never learned about that 1/2 thing. So (.5)(0.82)(0.049)^2 = 0.00098441

FlipStyle1308 said:
I never learned about that 1/2 thing. So (.5)(0.82)(0.049)^2 = 0.00098441

yes.

Check in your book, you must have a list of moments of inertia for different objects around different axis of rotation. MR^2 works only for point masses or hollow cylinders.

Oh okay, so I just solve RT/I, and I should get the answer...109.5072 rad/s^2?

Last edited:
FlipStyle1308 said:
Oh okay, so I just solve RT/I, and I should get the answer...109.5072 rad/s^2?

? What did you use for R, T and I?
Oh.. Ithink you corrected it as i was posting,

That sounds right to me

Okay cool!

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly the angular velocity of an object changes over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time.

2. How does angular acceleration affect a fishing reel?

Angular acceleration can affect a fishing reel by determining how quickly the spool spins when the handle is turned. This can impact the speed and distance of the fishing line being cast.

3. How is angular acceleration measured?

Angular acceleration is measured in units of radians per second squared (rad/s²) or degrees per second squared (deg/s²) depending on the unit system being used. It can also be represented as a vector quantity with direction and magnitude.

4. What factors can affect angular acceleration in a fishing reel?

The main factors that can affect angular acceleration in a fishing reel are the force applied to the handle, the mass of the spool and fishing line, and any friction or resistance within the reel's mechanism. The gear ratio of the reel can also impact the angular acceleration.

5. How can angular acceleration be calculated for a fishing reel?

To calculate angular acceleration for a fishing reel, you would need to gather data on the handle force, spool mass, and any other relevant factors. Then, you can use the formula: angular acceleration = (change in angular velocity) / (change in time) to determine the rate of change in the reel's rotation.