1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two reels rolling without slipping

1. May 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    3q8Ftmn.jpg

I have two cylindric reels laying on the ground. They are identical: mass M, composed by a cylinder of radius R and two side cylinders of radius 2R. I have to find angular acceleration and work done by F in delta t.

2. The attempt at a solution

On the first cylinder the torque is ##\tau_1=3RF-RT##, while on the second is ##\tau_2=RT##
    as the rope isn't extensible the two cylinders should have the same angular acceleration.
    So ##\alpha_1=\alpha_2##
    ##3RF-3RT=RT##
    ##T=-\frac{3}{2} F##

##\alpha=R/I *3/2 F=\frac{3RF}{2I}##
    Angular velocity of cylinder is ##\omega = \alpha t = \frac{3RF}{2I} t##.
    Kinetic energy of the first cylinder is ##1/2 I \omega^2= \frac{9R^2F^2t^2}{8I}## and this is also the work done by F plus the work done by T on the first cylinder. But as ##T/F=-3/2## and they are applied in the same way with respect to the displacement I expect ##W_T/W_F=-3/2## so ##W_F=2/5 \Delta K##. Is it correct?
    Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Interesting, can you explain ?
    The rope can roll up (or off) on the reels, I presume ?
    [edit] A bit late, but I get it. Let me sit back and think a little longer before posting :nb)

4. May 10, 2016 #3
    Oh my gosh, you're right.. I'm totally wrong(i don't know why but I considered it as a rod) and I don't know what to do now :/

5. May 10, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But the "##\tau_1=3RF−RT##, while on the second is ##\tau_2=RT##" is correct. That gives angular acceleration and therefore also (uniformly) accelerated translation

6. May 10, 2016 #5
    I tried: (where A is friction force)
    ## F-A-T=M a_1 = M \alpha_1 2R ##
    ## T-A=M a_2 = M \alpha_2 2R ##

Subtracting, I get: ##F-2T=M(2R)(\alpha_1-\alpha_2)##
    ##F-2T=M(2R)\frac{3RF-2RT}{I}##
    ##T=F\frac{1+6MR^2 / I}{2+4MR^2 / I}##

Is it correct?
    What about the work? Is it correct my reasoning in applying kinetic energy theorem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted