1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular acceleration problem - masses on massless rod

1. Apr 21, 2006 #1
    A 3 kg mass and a 4 kg mass are attached to either end of a 3 m long massless rod. If the system is rotated about the center of mass by a force of 7 N acting on the 4 kg mass, (perpendicular to the rod), what will the size of the angular acceleration of the system be?

I used angular acceleration = rF/mr^2, and got 1.3608 rad/s^2, but got the answer wrong. Anyone have any idea why?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you use for r? You must first find where the center of mass is. Did you do this?

4. Apr 21, 2006 #3
    For r I used 1.286. I got the center of mass is 15.4286 kgm^2, which is correct, according to WebAssign.

5. Apr 21, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok (btw, the value you give is the moment of inertia, not the center of mass).

I think you just made a mistake using your calculator. I used your values and got a different alpha (0.5835 rad/s^2)

6. Apr 21, 2006 #5
    Whoops, you're right, I gave the rotational inertia for the center of the rod lol. Center of mass is 1.714 m, from the 3 kg mass. What did you plug in for that 0.5835?

7. Apr 21, 2006 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

rF/I = 1.286m * 7 N/15.428 kg m^2

8. Apr 21, 2006 #7
    Oh okay, thanks! So I was supposed to use the inertia of the center of mass. Interesting. Thanks!

9. Apr 21, 2006 #8

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure what you mean. But the r you use there is the distance between where the force is applied and the axis of rotation, as a general principle. And the I is always calculated with respect to where the axis of rotation is located.

10. Apr 21, 2006 #9
    Makes sense...I never thought of that. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?