Angular Freq. of small oscillations on a wheel/spring.

In summary, the conversation revolves around a physics homework problem involving a wheel attached to a spring and its angular frequency of small oscillations. The problem is approached by considering the wheel as a torsional oscillator and finding the torque exerted by the spring for a small displacement. The formula for torque is compared to that of a mass on a spring, and the rotational analog to mass is used to find the period of the SHM. The correct approach is clarified, and the problem is successfully solved with a better understanding of the concepts involved.
nweibley
I've been busy finishing my online physics homework, and I cannot get this problem for the life of me (which is annoying because I just finished the relativity and lorentz transformation assignments). If you are good at physics and think you know how to do it, please post your line of thoughts on the matter. I've tried obvious variations of the kinematic equations of oscillation that I can think of, but no dice.

The question is below:

A wheel of mass M = 4.5 kg and radius R = 0.90 m is free to rotate about its fixed axle. A spring, with spring constant k = 270 N/m, is attached to one of its spokes, a distance r = 0.33 m from the axle, as shown in the figure. What is the angular frequency of small oscillations of this system (in rad/s)?

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1908/prob211yw.gif

I was told to think of the disc as a torsional oscillator, but I had no luck doing that. If this is a pend problem I assumed (incorrectly) the axis cannot actually be the axle. It would seem to me there would only be two torques... the rotational inertia of the wheel (MR^2) and the spring. How would I calculate the torques cause by the spring though?

I thought I was to use the formula T = 2 pi * sqrt ( I / Mgd) but that obviously does not work in this case, since the wheel doesn't spin from gravity. I cannot figure out how to determine K the torque constant from the spring and substitute Mgd for K. I know angular freq = 2 pi / (T) but none the less, I only have one attempt to get this right, and I know that the way I was doing it was wrong ("practice" inputs).

Any help?

Thanks,
---Nate

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nweibley said:
I was told to think of the disc as a torsional oscillator, but I had no luck doing that. If this is a pend problem I assumed (incorrectly) the axis cannot actually be the axle.
Yes, it's a torsional oscillator. Why in the world would you think that the axis would be anything but the axle?
It would seem to me there would only be two torques... the rotational inertia of the wheel (MR^2) and the spring.
Rotational inertia is not a torque!
How would I calculate the torques cause by the spring though?
The only thing exerting a torque on the wheel is the spring. You should know how to find the torque based on the force exerted by the spring for a small displacement.

I thought I was to use the formula T = 2 pi * sqrt ( I / Mgd) but that obviously does not work in this case, since the wheel doesn't spin from gravity. I cannot figure out how to determine K the torque constant from the spring and substitute Mgd for K. I know angular freq = 2 pi / (T) but none the less, I only have one attempt to get this right, and I know that the way I was doing it was wrong ("practice" inputs).
This is not a physical pendulum, so forget about that formula. Instead, compare this to a mass on a spring. I assume that you could find the angular frequency of an oscillating mass on a spring (the usual simple case). (If not, better read up on that problem first.) Now just figure out the analogous equations for rotational SHM, which deals with torques instead of forces. Here are two big hints:

(1) In the "mass on a spring" case, the force formula is F = kx. For this problem, figure out the corresponding torque formula. (Hint: Write the torque as a function of angular displacement. That way you'll find the torsional spring constant.)

(2) In the "mass on a spring" case, the mass is used to find the period of the SHM. For this problem, what's the rotational analog to mass?

Once you've figured out these two hints, you can translate the answer from the "mass on a spring" to work with this problem.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense... I completed the problem and everything now makes sense.

I was just taking the wrong approach to the problem.

Thanks for the help!
-----Nate

Hello, i have no idea how to do this problem. Can someone PLEASE PLEASE explain me how to do this problem step by step.

I really need to know how to do this.

1. What is the definition of angular frequency for small oscillations on a wheel/spring?

The angular frequency for small oscillations on a wheel/spring is a measure of how many oscillations occur per unit time, measured in radians per second. It is denoted by the Greek letter omega (Ω) and is related to the frequency (f) by the formula Ω = 2πf.

2. How is the angular frequency affected by the mass and stiffness of the wheel/spring system?

The angular frequency is directly proportional to the square root of the stiffness of the system and inversely proportional to the square root of the mass. This means that as the stiffness increases, the angular frequency increases, and as the mass increases, the angular frequency decreases.

3. Can the angular frequency be negative for small oscillations on a wheel/spring?

No, the angular frequency cannot be negative. It is a measure of the rate of change of the oscillation and must always be positive. A negative value would indicate a reversal of the oscillation direction, which is not possible for small oscillations on a wheel/spring.

4. How does the damping of the system affect the angular frequency?

The damping of the system reduces the amplitude of the oscillations over time. This means that the angular frequency decreases as the damping increases. In other words, the more damping present in the system, the slower the oscillations will occur.

5. Can the angular frequency change over time for small oscillations on a wheel/spring?

Yes, the angular frequency can change over time if there are external forces acting on the system, such as friction or air resistance. These forces can affect the stiffness and mass of the system, which in turn can change the angular frequency. However, if the system is isolated and there are no external forces, the angular frequency will remain constant.