1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular frequency precession of spinning top

1. Nov 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

im doing a sipnnig top question and i have got an answer for the precession angular velocity
    this site shows a good example of what i did: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/top.html

and so i have gr/K2w if i sub in I=mK2

but i need to find the angular frequency of the precession. I'm confused between the angular velocity and frequency and how to change between the two.

any help appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

ω is measured in radians per second. How many radians in one cycle?

4. Nov 29, 2009 #3
    so i can just use w=2pif?

5. Nov 29, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Sure.

6. Dec 1, 2009 #5
    ok but i was discussing this problem with someone today and they said that (gr)/(K^2*w) is the angular frequency and now i'm even more confused is this the angular frequency of precession or is it (gr)/(K^2*w*2pi)

7. Dec 1, 2009 #6

Doc Al

Yes, the first expression is the angular frequency (also called angular speed) measured in radians per second. (If you wanted just the frequency f, in cycles per second, use ω = 2πf.)

Sorry if I wasn't clearer before. :redface:

8. Dec 1, 2009 #7
    ok i get it now thanks for that :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook