1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum and Hamiltonian Commutation

1. Sep 26, 2006 #1
    I am working on a problem for homework and am supposed to show that the angular momentum operator squared commutes with H and that angular momentum and H also commute. This must be done in spherical coordinates and everthing I see says "it's straightforward" but I don't see it. At least not yet. Can someone help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2006 #2
    I would suggest considering the eigenvalues for both the angular momentum and square of the angular momentum operator. Then think about which parts of either angular momentum (squared or not squared) operator act on the components of the Hamiltonian. Finally, what does the commutation relation tell you about when the operator commutes with the Hamiltonian? I think you should find the problem is actually straight forward, just a little different when you first see it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?