Commutation relation using Levi-Civita symbol

In summary, the conversation is about computing the commutation relations between the position operator R and the angular momentum L, as well as the commutation relations between R^2 and L. The discussion also includes an explanation for why certain terms in the solution cancel out and the possibility of nonzero epsilon values.
davon806

Homework Statement

Hi,I have got a question as follow:
Compute the commutation relations of the position operator R and the angular momentum L.Deduce the commutation relations of R^2 with the angular momentum L

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In fact I have got the solutions to this problem.I am having trouble for the 2nd part of the question.
In the red box of the image,why did the terms cancel out?Since position vector is commutative I expect they should add up?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Q.jpg
    Q.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,006
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that the two terms in the first line of the red box are equal. Try to show that each term separately equals zero.

TSny said:
You are correct that the two terms in the first line of the red box are equal. Try to show that each term separately equals zero.
But if k =/= l ,then the first term becomes i(h bar) (x1x2 + x2x1+x3x2+x2x3 + x3x1 + x1x3)?

Note that ##j## is some fixed value.

Take the specific case where ##j = 1##. Then what does the first term become when you sum over ##k## and ##l##?

TSny said:
Note that ##j## is some fixed value.

Take the specific case where ##j = 1##. Then what does the first term become when you sum over ##k## and ##l##?
So if j =1,then we can either have k = 2,l = 3 or k = 3,l = 2.Hence the nonzero possibility of epsilon becomes e(132) or e(123)
i(h bar)(x2x3 - x3x2) =0 ?

Yes, that's correct.

Likes davon806

1. What is the Levi-Civita symbol and how is it used in commutation relations?

The Levi-Civita symbol, also known as the permutation symbol, is a mathematical symbol used to represent the sign of a permutation of a set of numbers. In commutation relations, it is used to denote the order of operations or the direction of a vector. It is commonly used in vector calculus, quantum mechanics, and other branches of mathematics and physics.

2. How is the Levi-Civita symbol defined?

The Levi-Civita symbol is defined as a completely antisymmetric tensor of rank 3, with a value of +1 when the indices are in an even permutation, -1 when they are in an odd permutation, and 0 when any indices are repeated. It can be represented using the epsilon notation, such as εijk or using the curly bracket notation, such as {ijk}.

3. What is the significance of the commutation relation using Levi-Civita symbol?

The commutation relation using Levi-Civita symbol is significant in quantum mechanics, as it helps determine the behavior of operators on quantum states. It also plays a crucial role in the study of angular momentum and other physical quantities in quantum mechanics. In general, commutation relations are important in studying the properties and behavior of mathematical objects.

4. Can you provide an example of a commutation relation using Levi-Civita symbol?

One example of a commutation relation using Levi-Civita symbol is the commutator of two vector operators, [Ai, Bj] = εijkCk, where Ai and Bj are vector operators, εijk is the Levi-Civita symbol, and Ck is a constant. This relation shows how the two operators behave when applied in different orders, and the constant Ck determines the specific behavior of the operators.

5. Are there any other applications of the commutation relation using Levi-Civita symbol?

Yes, the commutation relation using Levi-Civita symbol has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in vector calculus to determine the properties of vector fields, in differential geometry to study manifolds, in mechanics to analyze the behavior of rigid bodies, and in electromagnetism to calculate the electric and magnetic fields. It also has applications in other branches of mathematics, such as group theory and topology.