1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutation relation using Levi-Civita symbol

1. Feb 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,I have got a question as follow:
    Compute the commutation relations of the position operator R and the angular momentum L.Deduce the commutation relations of R^2 with the angular momentum L

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    In fact I have got the solutions to this problem.I am having trouble for the 2nd part of the question.
    In the red box of the image,why did the terms cancel out?Since position vector is commutative I expect they should add up?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• Q.jpg
      Q.jpg
      File size:
      17 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are correct that the two terms in the first line of the red box are equal. Try to show that each term separately equals zero.

4. Feb 26, 2017 #3
    But if k =/= l ,then the first term becomes i(h bar) (x1x2 + x2x1+x3x2+x2x3 + x3x1 + x1x3)?

5. Feb 26, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that ##j## is some fixed value.

Take the specific case where ##j = 1##. Then what does the first term become when you sum over ##k## and ##l##?

6. Feb 27, 2017 #5
    So if j =1,then we can either have k = 2,l = 3 or k = 3,l = 2.Hence the nonzero possibility of epsilon becomes e(132) or e(123)
    i(h bar)(x2x3 - x3x2) =0 ?

7. Feb 27, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted