In summary, the conversation discusses writing the angular momentum operator for a 2-dimensional harmonic oscillator and proving its commutativity with the Hamiltonian. The attempt at a solution involves finding the cross product of the position and momentum vectors, but this leads to complicated product terms. Instead, it is suggested to show that the operator L^2 or Lz^2 commutes with the Hamiltonian, which only happens under certain conditions.
Rabindranath
1. The problem statement

I want to write the angular momentum operator ##L## for a 2-dimensional harmonic oscillator, in terms of its ladder operators, ##a_x##, ##a_y##, ##a_x^\dagger## & ##a_y^\dagger##, and then prove that this commutes with its Hamiltonian.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get

##L = (x + y) × (p_x + p_y) = -i \hbar ((a_x^\dagger +a_y^\dagger) × (a_x + a_y) + a_x × a_x + a_y × a_y)##.

Does this seem to make any sense?

As for the commutator, with Hamiltonian ##H = \hbar \omega (a_x^\dagger a_x + a_y^\dagger a_y + 1) ##, I consequently get all sorts of exotic product terms, e.g.

## \left ( (a_x^\dagger +a_y^\dagger) × (a_x + a_y) \right ) a_x^\dagger a_x ##

and the like, and I'm not comfortable with handling these. I want all of them to go away, for said operators to commute, but am not sure how to do/see that.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should rather show that the operator ##L^2##, which is the same as ##L_{z}^{2}## for motion on the xy-plane, commutes with the Hamiltonian. This actually happens only when the "spring constants" are the same in x and y directions and the potential energy ##V(r,\theta )## depends only on the radial coordinate ##r##.

You can first work out the commutator of Lz with the Hamiltonian. In your attempt, the way you wrote L is wrong. You should work out the cross product of the position vector and the momentum vector.

1. What is the angular momentum operator for a 2-D harmonic oscillator?

The angular momentum operator for a 2-D harmonic oscillator is given by L = Lx + Ly, where Lx and Ly are the x and y components of the angular momentum operator respectively.

2. How is the angular momentum operator related to the position and momentum operators?

The angular momentum operator is related to the position and momentum operators through the cross product L = x x p, where x and p are the position and momentum operators respectively.

3. What is the physical significance of the angular momentum operator for a 2-D harmonic oscillator?

The angular momentum operator represents the rotational motion of the 2-D harmonic oscillator. It quantifies the amount of angular momentum that the system possesses, which is related to the system's rotational kinetic energy.

4. How does the angular momentum operator for a 2-D harmonic oscillator behave under rotations?

The angular momentum operator for a 2-D harmonic oscillator behaves as a vector under rotations, meaning it transforms according to the rules of vector addition and rotation. This is because rotations do not change the shape or energy of the harmonic oscillator, only its orientation in space.

5. Can the eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator for a 2-D harmonic oscillator be measured experimentally?

Yes, the eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator for a 2-D harmonic oscillator can be measured experimentally through techniques such as spectroscopy. By measuring the energy levels of the system, the eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator can be determined.