Angular Momentum and Torque Problem

In summary: The normal force is the interaction force between the edge of the brick and the ball. The normal force can be defined as the vector sum of the negative normal force and the normal force of the brick. The normal force of the brick is the force that acts perpendicular to the edge of the brick. The resultant force is the sum of the two torques and it should be zero.
Joules6626

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm having a problem with a mechanics question. I'm not really sure where to begin solving the problem. It reads:

A lawn roller is 20 inches in diameter and weighs 100 pounds. What horizontal force is needed to pull it over a brick 2 inches high?
What is the force of the brick on the roller and what direction is it in?

Any help would be so greatfully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

L = r x p
torque = F x r
d:/dt = torque
Moment of inertia = 1/2MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the angular momentum about the corner of the brick where the roller first touches it. This would make my R equal to the radius of the roller. But when I find the L when the roller is on the brick, it ends up being the same which can't be true since there is an outside force working on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work in detail, with a picture attached.ehild

[PLAIN]http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/8718/42780714.png
I think I might be on to something for the force of the brick on the roller, but I get a d/dt in there and I'm not sure what to do.
The L was taken about the axis on the bottom left of the brick.
As for the force the roller needs to get over the brick, I'm pretty clueless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't follow you. Is v the velocity of the ball? You need to find what horizontal force is needed to lift the ball from the ground and make it roll onto the brick. So this is rather a static problem. The ball rotates around the top left corner of the brick. If you calculate the torque around the bottom left corner you have even the torque of the normal force around the top corner take into account.

ehild

The v is tangential velocity of the roller.
L = r x p = r*p_perpendicular

So I guess the bottom left corner is not the way to go?

Why did you choose it? It has no advantage.

ehild

I wasn't sure where to begin the problem, so I just picked the bottom left corner out of random. I'm still stuck on this problem. If you could help me I'd gladly appreciate it.

Write the equation for the torques of both forces around the top left corner assuming the ball just does not touch the ground. Try to find out how the torques change if the ball turns around.

ehild

[PLAIN]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1496/96925170.jpg

So I used the equation T = RFsin(theta) for both torques.
My answer sounds pretty reasonable.
Is the force of the brick on the roller just the normal force? (100N) or is there something more to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the normal force but you need to define its direction and magnitude. Use that the resultant force should be zero. The normal force is the interaction force between the edge of the brick and the ball. You can not define the normal of the edge, but you can define the normal of the ball.

ehild

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a property of a rotating object that describes the amount of rotational motion it possesses. It is a vector quantity and is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated using the formula L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, and the angular velocity is the rate at which an object is rotating.

3. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the amount of turning or twisting force applied to an object. It is a vector quantity and is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

4. How is torque related to angular momentum?

Torque is directly related to angular momentum. When a force is applied to an object, it causes a change in the object's angular momentum. This change is directly proportional to the amount of torque applied and the time for which it is applied.

5. How can angular momentum and torque be applied in real life?

Angular momentum and torque have many practical applications in everyday life. For example, they are essential in understanding the stability and control of objects such as bicycles and cars. They are also crucial in the design and operation of machines and tools, as well as in sports such as gymnastics and diving.