1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum, block plus bullet

1. Dec 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wooden block of mass M resting on a frictionless, horizontal surface is attached to a rigid rod of length l and of negligible mass. The rod is pivoted at the other end. A bullet of mass m travelling parallel to the horizontal surface and perpendicular to the rod with speed v hits the block and becomes embedded in it.
    a.) What is the angular momentum of the bullet-block system about a vertical axis through the pivot.

2. Relevant equations
    L=r x p

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I got L initial, which is mvl and L final which is (m+M)vfl. What I thought the angular momentum would be would be L final - L initial, but the answer is apparently mvl down, which is just the bullet. Where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What question are you trying to answer? (You only listed part a.) Would you expect the angular momentum to change upon collision?

4. Dec 3, 2014 #3
    I only put part A since I understand part B.
    Is it really that easy and I am just overcomplicating it? Since angular momentum is conserved, then L initial equals L final and that is why the answer is just mvl, since it is is the same as the final angular momentum?

5. Dec 3, 2014 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that's all there is to it. Note that the question (at least as you quoted it) does not specify before or after the collision. It doesn't matter: angular momentum is conserved.

6. Dec 3, 2014 #5
    OK, thank you. That was actually a really easy question then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted