1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum commutation relations

1. Jun 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that ##|l, m\rangle## for ##l=1## vanishes for the commutator ##[l_i^2, l_j^2]##.

2. Relevant equations
    ##L^2 = l_1^2 + l_2^2 + l_3^2## and ##[l_i^2,L^2]=0##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I managed to so far prove that ##[l_1^2, l_2^2] = [l_2^2, l_3^2] = [l_3^2, l_1^2]##. I know that for ##l=1##, I have ##m=-1,0,1## but I'm not really sure how to proceed from here though. Any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the complete problem statement ? Or: what do you mean when you write ##|l, m\rangle## vanishes ??

4. Jun 1, 2017 #3
    That is the full question. I believe it means that the commutator acting on the state ##|l,m\rangle## i.e. ##\langle m, l| [l_i^2, l_j^2] |l, m \rangle = 0##. Of course ##l## and ##m## are the usual quantum numbers corresponding to ##L^2## and ##l_3##

5. Jun 2, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, clear. Sorry to have pulled you off the unanswred threads list :oops:

So the thing to do is work out ##\left ( l_i^2 l_j^2 - l_j^2 l_i^2 \right ) \left | 1,m \right \rangle ## and conclude that it's zero :rolleyes:|
    But you knew that already.

I tried working them out but had a hard time keeping it from getting longer and longer. Still looking for a shorter path through.

6. Jun 2, 2017 #5
    That's okay, thank you for helping. I guess the idea is to somehow write ##l_1## and ##l_2## in terms of the ladder operators but some basic manipulations haven't really led me anywhere.

7. Jun 2, 2017 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Same idea here. I'm looking at $$ \begin{align*} L_- L_+ & = L_x^2 + L_y^2 +i \left ( L_x L_y - L_y L_x \right ) \\ & = L^2 -L_z^2 -\hbar L_z \end{align*}$$which is from Ballentine (7.9) but haven't worked it towards our commutator yet.

8. Jun 2, 2017 #7

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You can prove that ##\langle l, m| [l_i^2, l_j^2] |l, m \rangle = 0## when i or j is equal to 3 in about two lines by calculating explicitly the commutator and using the fact that ##|l, m \rangle## is an eigenfunction of ##l_3##.

Combining that with
    should complete the proof.

9. Jun 2, 2017 #8
    I feel silly for not trying the obvious. Thank you Dr. Claude.

10. Jun 3, 2017 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For the admiring spectators (including me :rolleyes:): can you show it ?

11. Jun 3, 2017 #10
    Of course. Let's start with the ##[l_2, l_3]## commutator

##
    \begin{align*}
    \langle m, l | [l_2^2, l_3^2]| l,m \rangle &= \langle m, l | l_2^2l_3^2 - l_3^2l_2^2| l,m \rangle \\
    &= \langle m, l | l_2^2l_3^2| l,m \rangle - \langle m, l | l_3^2l_2^2| l,m \rangle \\
    \end{align*}
    ##

Utilize the fact that ##l_i## are Hermitian and the eigenvalue equation ##l_3| l,m \rangle = m| l,m \rangle##, we get
    ##
    \begin{align*}
    \langle m, l | l_2^2l_3^2| l,m \rangle - \langle m, l | l_3^2l_2^2| l,m \rangle &= m^2(\langle m, l | l_2^2| l,m \rangle - \langle m, l | l_2^2| l,m \rangle) \\
    & = 0
    \end{align*}
    ##

As for the commutator result, we have
    ##
    \begin{align*}
    [l_1^2, l_2^2] &= [l_1^2, L^2 - l_1^2 - l_3^2] \\
    &= -[l_1^2, l_3^2] \\
    & = [l_3^2, l_1^2],
    \end{align*}
    ##
    where we use that any component of angular momentum commutes with the total angular momentum. A similar proof can be done for the ##[l_2^2, l_3^2]## commutator.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but it appears that this is true for all ##|l,m\rangle##, not just the specific case of ##l=1##.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  12. Jun 7, 2017 #11

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You indeed never need to make use of that. I wonder if this is a red herring or if the the person who wrote the question had another proof in mind, involving ladder operators (where square ladder operators only need to involve two states, ##|l, l\rangle## and ##|l, -l\rangle##).

13. Jun 7, 2017 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe this means to show that ##[l_i^2, l_j^2] \, |l, m\rangle = 0## for ## l = 1##.

You might consider using the matrix representation of the angular momentum operators for ##l = 1##.
    http://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node247.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted