1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum Conservation (Lorentz transf. + Noether Th.)

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove $$ j^{\mu} = j_ {EXTERIOR}^{\mu} + j_ {INTERIOR}^{\mu}$$. Writing $$j_ {EXTERIOR}^{\mu}$$ in terms of the energy-momentum tensor. Prove $$j_ {EXTERIOR}^{\mu}$$ is related to the Orbital Momentum and $$j_ {INTERIOR}^{\mu}$$ to the spin.

Sorry, for the lane shifts.

2. Relevant equations

$$ x' \longrightarrow x $$
    $$ x \longrightarrow \Lambda^{-1}x $$

$$ \Lambda = \mathbb{1} - i\epsilon I_D \implies D[\Lambda] = \mathbb{1} - i\epsilon I_R $$

This yields:

$$ \phi' (x) = D[\Lambda]\phi(\Lambda^{-1}x) = \phi(x) - i\epsilon I_R\phi(x) + i\epsilon(I_Dx)^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\phi(x)$$

So in Taylor expansion:

$$\frac {\delta \phi'}{\delta \epsilon} = -iI_R\phi + i(I_Dx)^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\phi$$

$$\frac {\delta x'}{\delta x} = -i\epsilon I_Dx$$

The conserved current formula:

$$j^{\mu}= \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\phi)} \frac {\delta \phi'}{\delta \epsilon} + \mathcal{L}\frac {\delta x'^{\mu}}{\delta \epsilon} $$

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, I tried a few things. Trying to use all was given in the course notes but I am always crashing with the next:

The $$\frac {\delta x'}{\delta x} = -i\epsilon I_Dx$$ seems to be wrong for me. If I try this:

$$\frac {\delta x'}{\delta \epsilon} = -i I_Dx$$ Because this must come from the $$\Lambda^{-1}x $$ right?

And setting two indices to the I_R and I_D matrices (there are 6 for each one corresponding to the Lorentz transf. in each angle or rapidity), then I reach the expresion for the internal part, which corresponds to the spin:

$$-iI_{\alpha \beta}( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\phi)}\phi) $$

plus, $$ iI_{\alpha \beta}x^{\beta}T_{\beta}^{\alpha} $$ Which must be wrong! because the indices of x and T must be different to set the antisymmetric part and then prove the orbital momentum conservation.

Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This problem is worked out in this paper:
    http://rickbradford.co.uk/NoethersTheorem.pdf

The notation is different, and they are assuming particles with spin (so that the angular momentum has a spin part and and "orbital" part).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted