1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum of Shot Question

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the figure below, a 0.360 kg ball is shot directly upward at initial speed 37.5 m/s.

hrw7_11-41.gif

What is its angular momentum about P, 2.15 m horizontally from the launch point, when the ball is at the following heights?
    • a) its maximum height
    • b) halfway back to the ground

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{l} = m(\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r} \times \stackrel{\rightarrow}{v})[/itex], which given this problem simplifies to [itex]l = r_{\bot}mv[/itex]
    [itex]v^2 = v^{2}_{0} + 2a(x - x_{0})[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

For a), v was obviously 0 at max height, so the angular momentum was 0 as well.

For b):
    First, I needed to find the halfway position in regards to y, to help find the velocity there. Taking:
    * [itex]v_{initial}[/itex] = the time just after being launched from the ground
    * [itex]v_{final}[/itex] = the apex of its climb

I plugged in the numbers: [itex]0^2 = 37.5^2 + 2(-9.8)(y - 0)[/itex] and got: [itex] y = 71.747[/itex]

Now using the same equation, except with [itex]v_{final}[/itex] being halfway up and y obviously half of what it was:
    [itex]v^2 = 0^2 + 2(9.8)(35.874 - 0)[/itex]

I got [itex]v^2 = 703.125[/itex] so v = -26.517 m/s.

Edit: Plug in the numbers, and [itex](-26.517 m/s)(2.15 m)(0.36 kg) = 20.52 [/itex] N*m*s, which is right.

Not sure what I did the first time, but thanks, I guess having to do the post format for this forum helps, haha!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Glad we could help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook