Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum quantum numbers

1. Apr 21, 2007 #1
    For angular momentum quantum numbers j, l, and s must it be true that [tex] m_s, m_l < m_j [/tex]?
    It would seem that it is true because I assume that [tex] m_s +m_l = m_j [/tex], but I have not actually seen that written down anywhere and am curious.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2007 #2
    No. It is not generally true. Remember that m tells you the component of angular momentum along some certain direction. This means that it can be either positive or negative. Consider, then, the case where [tex]m_s = -\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. It is hopefully clear that [tex]m_l = m_j + \frac{1}{2}[/tex].

4. Apr 22, 2007 #3
    ok, I think I meant the magnitude of the m's. i.e.
    [tex] |m_s|, |m_l| \leq |m_j| [/tex].
    For example, take the situation where [tex]m_j = -1/2[/tex], j=3/2, s=1/2. The orbital and spin angular momenta magnetic numbers can add to this for two cases:
    1. [tex] m_s = -1/2, m_l = 0 [/tex].
    2. [tex] m_s = 1/2, m_l = -1 [/tex].
    I would argue from above that case 2 is not a viable option because [tex]|m_l| \nleq |m_j| [/tex].
    What do you think?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  5. Apr 22, 2007 #4
    If you're using magnitudes, you can't have negative numbers. However, even if you want to compare the magnitudes of [tex]m_s[/tex], [tex]m_l[/tex], and [tex]m_j[/tex], you'll find that there are states where [tex]|m_j|[/tex] is smaller than either [tex]|m_s|[/tex] or [tex]|m_l|[/tex]. All this requires is that the spin and orbital angular momenta have their z components in opposite directions. This is something we should expect from normal vector analysis (i.e. it has nothing to do with quantum mechanics specifically). If I add two vectors which have projections in opposite directions along the z-axis, I should expect that the magnitude of the z component of the resultant vector must be smaller than at least that of one of the two vectors I added; and, it may be smaller than both.

6. Apr 22, 2007 #5
    darn, I wrote that wrong. Hopefully this makes my question more clear:

if j=3/2 then possible [tex] m_j [/tex] values are -3/2 to 3/2 by ones. if j=3/2 and we're dealing with an electron then l = 1 and s = 1/2. [tex] m_l [/tex] values are 1,0, and -1.
    If [tex] m_j = - 3/2 (+3/2) [/tex] then of course [tex] m_l = -1 (+1) [/tex] and [tex] m_s = -1/2 (+1/2) [/tex] respectively. Those are the only possibilities to form [tex] m_j [/tex] for the maximum values of [tex] m_j [/tex].
    Now when [tex] m_j = \pm 1/2[/tex] it seems ambiguous as to what [tex] m_{l,s} [/tex] are. For instance:
    1. [tex] m_s = -1/2, m_l = 0 [/tex]
    2. [tex] m_s = 1/2, m_l = -1 [/tex]
    both give [tex] m_j = -1/2[/tex].

Is that ok or is one of them not correct?

7. Apr 22, 2007 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The state with [itex]m_j = -1/2[/itex] is a linear combination of the two states with [itex](m_s = -1/2, m_l = 0)[/itex] and [itex](m_s = +1/2, m_l = -1)[/itex]. The coefficients of the linear combination are called Clebsch-Gordan coefficients:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qm/lectures/node47.html

To relate the notation on that page to your example, substitute [itex]l[/itex] for its [itex]j_1[/itex], [itex]s[/itex] for its [itex]j_2[/itex], [itex]m_l[/itex] for its [itex]m_1[/itex], [itex]m_s[/itex] for its [itex]m_2[/itex], and finally [itex]m_j[/itex] for its [itex]m[/itex].

8. Apr 23, 2007 #7
    Adding to what jtbell said, you should also be aware that there are [tex]j=3/2[/tex] states arising from [tex]l=2,\ s=1/2[/tex]. Here, there are 10 possible [tex]|m_l, m_s\!\!>[/tex] states; but, only 8 of them give allowed values of [tex]m_j[/tex].

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?