Angular velocity and regular velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario involving a pole with mass M and length L, being hit by another particle of the same mass M with a velocity V. The particle sticks to the pole and they move together, and the task is to find the angular and regular velocity of the new body. The question is whether conservation of linear momentum can be used to find the regular velocity, with the expert confirming that it can be used in this scenario since there are no external forces in that direction. It is also noted that the centre of mass will be in a different place.
asi123

Homework Statement

I have this pole with mass M and length L which is on a flat table with no friction. Another particle, which has the same mass M hits him on its edge with velocity V, which is vertical to the pole.
then, the particle sticks to the pole and they move together.
I need to find both the Angular velocity and the regular velocity of the new body.
My question is about the regular velocity, can I use the conservation of linear momentum law and say that mv = 2mv', and to find the regular velocity?
10x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
asi123 said:
My question is about the regular velocity, can I use the conservation of linear momentum law and say that mv = 2mv', and to find the regular velocity?

Hi asi123! :smile:

Yes, you're right!

You can always use conservation of linear momentum in a direction if there are no external forces in that direction, because that's simply good ol' Newton's second law with a net force of zero. :wink:

Since there is no friction in this case, and the only external force is gravity, which is vertical, conservation of horizontal momentum will apply.

(don't forget that the centre of mass will be in a different place, of course)

10x.

1. What is the difference between angular velocity and regular velocity?

Angular velocity is a vector quantity that measures the rate of change of angular position of an object with respect to time. It is measured in radians per second. Regular velocity, also known as linear velocity, is a vector quantity that measures the rate of change of position of an object with respect to time. It is measured in meters per second.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular position by the change in time. The formula is: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular position, and Δt is the change in time.

3. Is angular velocity affected by the size of an object?

No, angular velocity is not affected by the size of an object. It is only dependent on the rate of change of the object's angular position.

4. How does angular velocity relate to rotational motion?

Angular velocity is a key concept in rotational motion, as it describes the speed and direction of an object's rotation. The faster the angular velocity, the faster the object is rotating.

5. How is angular velocity used in real life?

Angular velocity is used in many real-life applications, such as in the design and operation of machines, vehicles, and amusement park rides. It is also important in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, where athletes perform rotational movements.