1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Velocity/Motion Question

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bead of mass m is free to slide along a frictionless ring of radius R=.5 meters that rotates about the vertical axis with angular velocity ω=6 rad/sec as shown below. What angle θ with the vertical will the bead make?

The answer choices are:
    (A) 90
    (B) 61
    (C) 56
    (D) 34
    (E) 29

This is from the Physics C Mechanics: Sample Exam III.

2. Relevant equations

I have no idea.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know where to start.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2
    Try to make Free body diagram , with all the forces

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3
    Okay, I did. I have an Fc pointing in, and an mg pointing down, but I'm still not seeing it.

5. Feb 21, 2012 #4
    see there will mg (weight )going downward and a normal reaction ,
    then you take components of Normal reaction and solve :D

6. Feb 21, 2012 #5
    Here is the figure

Attached Files:

7. Feb 21, 2012 #6
    ohh. okay. so we can use wr=v, and when Fn is mg, that way when we set up, the masses cancel, and we can solve for v. Thanks!

8. Feb 21, 2012 #7
    but remember in v=rw r is the radius of the motion of particle not the ring :O

9. Feb 21, 2012 #8
    oh. that's the d in your diagram. So the two radii are different. So how do I get this d?

10. Feb 21, 2012 #9
    simple trigo rsin(theta)= d

11. Feb 21, 2012 #10
    but we don't have ø?

12. Feb 21, 2012 #11
    I tried working it out multiple times, but no matter how I do it, with your d or without it, the fraction at the end never falls in the domain for the sin-1. Can you write out what you would do? Thanks for all your help so far, in my other posts too.

13. Feb 21, 2012 #12
    Oh wait a minute, I think I got it. Perhaps d=rcosø? If so, then at the end, tan-1((w2r)/g)=ø=61, choice B.

14. Feb 22, 2012 #13
    Yea , good going :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook