Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Angular Velocity/Motion Question

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bead of mass m is free to slide along a frictionless ring of radius R=.5 meters that rotates about the vertical axis with angular velocity ω=6 rad/sec as shown below. What angle θ with the vertical will the bead make?

The answer choices are:
    (A) 90
    (B) 61
    (C) 56
    (D) 34
    (E) 29

This is from the Physics C Mechanics: Sample Exam III.

2. Relevant equations

I have no idea.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know where to start.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2
    Try to make Free body diagram , with all the forces

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3
    Okay, I did. I have an Fc pointing in, and an mg pointing down, but I'm still not seeing it.

5. Feb 21, 2012 #4
    see there will mg (weight )going downward and a normal reaction ,
    then you take components of Normal reaction and solve :D

6. Feb 21, 2012 #5
    Here is the figure

Attached Files:

7. Feb 21, 2012 #6
    ohh. okay. so we can use wr=v, and when Fn is mg, that way when we set up, the masses cancel, and we can solve for v. Thanks!

8. Feb 21, 2012 #7
    but remember in v=rw r is the radius of the motion of particle not the ring :O

9. Feb 21, 2012 #8
    oh. that's the d in your diagram. So the two radii are different. So how do I get this d?

10. Feb 21, 2012 #9
    simple trigo rsin(theta)= d

11. Feb 21, 2012 #10
    but we don't have ø?

12. Feb 21, 2012 #11
    I tried working it out multiple times, but no matter how I do it, with your d or without it, the fraction at the end never falls in the domain for the sin-1. Can you write out what you would do? Thanks for all your help so far, in my other posts too.

13. Feb 21, 2012 #12
    Oh wait a minute, I think I got it. Perhaps d=rcosø? If so, then at the end, tan-1((w2r)/g)=ø=61, choice B.

14. Feb 22, 2012 #13
    Yea , good going :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook