1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular velocity of bicycle wheel

1. Apr 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bicycle rider is moving with a velocity of 13.0 m/s. What is the angular velocity of his wheels if they have a diameter of 0.660m? Assume the wheels are rolling without slipping.

a) 39.4 m/s
    b) 19.7 m/s
    c) 39.4 s-1
    d) 4.29 s-1
    e) none of the above

2. Relevant equations
    v = ω r

3. The attempt at a solution
    ω = v/r
    ω = (13m/s) / (0.330m) = 39.4 s-1
    This problem was given on a test, I put "c" and got it wrong. It seems very straightforward and I'm not sure where I went wrong. Is there a mistake in my work? Im thinking it was most likely a mistake with the grading machine but I just wanted someone to confirm before I talked to the teacher. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2015 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Your answer looks correct to me.

4. Apr 29, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, your answer is definitely correct. Note that you almost don't need the question. Just looking at the choice of answers, and assuming each wrong answer corresponds to a single likely error, (c) stands out as the common theme.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted