Angular velocity -velocity conversion

In summary, angular velocity refers to the rate at which an object rotates or revolves around a fixed point, measured in radians per second or degrees per second. It differs from linear velocity, which measures straight-line motion and is dependent on distance traveled. To convert angular velocity to linear velocity, the formula v = ωr is used, assuming circular motion. Common units for angular velocity include radians per second and degrees per second, as well as revolutions per minute and revolutions per second. In real life, angular velocity is important in the design of rotating machinery and vehicles, as well as in sports such as gymnastics and figure skating.
torquemaster
angular velocity --velocity conversion

I am a bit confused about angular velocity --velocity conversion . I thought of a problem in my mind which is as follows

There is a particle moving with velocity v in certain direction as shown in the figure.and I want to calculate the angular velocity wrt the reference point. is it vsin@/r.

and also is v=rw valid in any condition for angular velocity --velocity conversion . please explain the validity of this formulae I didnt understand what this formulae( v=rw ) actually means

Attachments

• pf.jpg
    pf.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org

You can use the expression ω=(rxv)/r^2.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rate at which an object rotates or revolves around a fixed point. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of rotational motion, while linear velocity is a measure of straight-line motion. Angular velocity is dependent on the distance from the fixed point of rotation, while linear velocity is dependent on the distance traveled in a straight line.

3. How do you convert angular velocity to linear velocity?

To convert angular velocity (ω) to linear velocity (v), you can use the formula v = ωr, where r is the distance from the fixed point of rotation. This formula assumes that the motion is taking place in a circular path.

4. What are some common units for angular velocity?

Radians per second (rad/s) and degrees per second (deg/s) are the most commonly used units for angular velocity. However, revolutions per minute (RPM) and revolutions per second (RPS) are also sometimes used.

5. How is angular velocity used in real life?

Angular velocity is used in many real-life applications, such as in the design of machinery and vehicles that rotate, such as engines, turbines, and wheels. It is also important in sports, such as gymnastics and figure skating, where rotational motion is involved.