Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anisotropy of cold rolled aluminium

1. May 29, 2017 #1
    Sorry for my poor english.
    I did tensile test of aluminium(purity more than 99%. 1000series). The three specimens had tensile directions of 0, 45, and 90 degrees for each rolling direction. strength(both yield and UTS)is higher degree closer 0 degree. and %elongation is too. but modulus of elasticity is 45 degree is highest, and 90 degree is next. How can I explain this? I think it is depends on grain shape. grains of cold rolled metal is looks like a long stick.
    I searched book and internet, but they don't explain specific reason, and all of them is different experiment result from mine. especially, there are many case in that reverse on my result, or if strength is high, elongation is low.
    All specimens appear to be extremely hardened(necking was started just after yield, and elongation is 4~9%) but their strength and modulus of elasticity is very lower than pure aluminium's properties in book(UTS 50~20 MPa, E 5~9 GPa).

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Jun 5, 2017 #3

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It may be difficult to find open access journal articles on the subject or an the particular 1000 series alloy.

I did find the following:

Anisotropic tensile ductility of cold-rolled and annealed aluminum alloy sheet and the beneficial effect of post-anneal rolling
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1359646208007811
    "The poor ductility of recovery-annealed specimens tested at 45° with respect to the rolling direction could be attributed to a strong rolling texture and the flow localization associated with intense shear banding, which was triggered by the yielding phenomenon."

Influence of Cold Rolling and Annealing on the Tensile Properties of Aluminum 7075 Alloy
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211812814006105 (Open access)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted