Anisotropy of cold rolled aluminium

In summary, the conversation revolved around the results of a tensile test on 1000 series aluminum specimens with different tensile directions. The findings showed that the strength and %elongation were highest when the tensile direction was closer to 0 degrees, while the modulus of elasticity was highest at 45 degrees and next highest at 90 degrees. The difference in results may be due to the shape of the grains in the cold rolled metal. The conversation also mentioned difficulties in finding an explanation for these results from books and the internet, and referenced a study on the anisotropic tensile ductility of cold-rolled and annealed aluminum alloy sheet.
Sentrix
Sorry for my poor english.
I did tensile test of aluminium(purity more than 99%. 1000series). The three specimens had tensile directions of 0, 45, and 90 degrees for each rolling direction. strength(both yield and UTS)is higher degree closer 0 degree. and %elongation is too. but modulus of elasticity is 45 degree is highest, and 90 degree is next. How can I explain this? I think it is depends on grain shape. grains of cold rolled metal is looks like a long stick.
I searched book and internet, but they don't explain specific reason, and all of them is different experiment result from mine. especially, there are many case in that reverse on my result, or if strength is high, elongation is low.
All specimens appear to be extremely hardened(necking was started just after yield, and elongation is 4~9%) but their strength and modulus of elasticity is very lower than pure aluminium's properties in book(UTS 50~20 MPa, E 5~9 GPa).

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It may be difficult to find open access journal articles on the subject or an the particular 1000 series alloy.

I did find the following:

Anisotropic tensile ductility of cold-rolled and annealed aluminum alloy sheet and the beneficial effect of post-anneal rolling
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1359646208007811
"The poor ductility of recovery-annealed specimens tested at 45° with respect to the rolling direction could be attributed to a strong rolling texture and the flow localization associated with intense shear banding, which was triggered by the yielding phenomenon."

Influence of Cold Rolling and Annealing on the Tensile Properties of Aluminum 7075 Alloy
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211812814006105 (Open access)

1. What is anisotropy in cold rolled aluminium?

Anisotropy in cold rolled aluminium refers to the directional variation in mechanical properties, such as strength and ductility, that occurs due to the rolling process.

2. How does cold rolling affect the anisotropy of aluminium?

Cold rolling involves reducing the thickness of a metal sheet by passing it through a series of rollers. This process aligns the grains of the metal in the direction of rolling, resulting in increased anisotropy.

3. What factors contribute to the anisotropy of cold rolled aluminium?

The main factors that contribute to anisotropy in cold rolled aluminium are the rolling direction, degree of reduction, and the texture of the material.

4. How is the anisotropy of cold rolled aluminium measured?

The anisotropy of cold rolled aluminium can be measured using various techniques such as X-ray diffraction, electron backscatter diffraction, and tensile testing. These methods can provide information on the degree of anisotropy and the direction of the preferred orientation.

5. What are the implications of anisotropy in cold rolled aluminium?

The anisotropy of cold rolled aluminium can affect the mechanical properties and formability of the material. It is important to consider anisotropy when designing with aluminium, as it can impact the performance of the final product.