Laminate properties (0/90) and (0/+45/-45/90)

• Thread starter jblakes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, the conversation discusses two tested laminates, one with a (0/90) stacking sequence and the other with a (0/+45/-45/90) sequence. The (0/90) laminate has higher UTS, elastic modulus, and flexural strength, while the (0/+45/-45/90) laminate has a higher flexural modulus. The reason for this difference is not clear, but it may be due to the presence of more plies in the (0/+45/-45/90) laminate. The conversation also mentions the use of laminate theory to understand the properties of these laminates.
jblakes
Evening all,

im hoping somebody can help or point me in the right direction.
We have tested these two laminates, one tensile and other three point bend test. The (0/90) has a higher uts, elastic modules, and flexure strength.
(0/+45/-45/90) has a higher flexural modulus. Both roughly same toughness.

I can seem to find anything that clearly explains why this is. To me the (+45/-45) one should have have higher uts as its got two more plies to add strength, but then read somewhere about it fails as more angles means it fails through midplane.

Can somebody explain this and give a resource to read?

Kind regards
Andy

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you carried out analyses to determine the stresses within the individual plies, and the inter laminar shear stresses?

No, we have just performed a tensile and 3point bend test on a
(0/90/0/90/0/90/0/90) 8layers
(0/45/-45/90/90/-45/45/0) 8layers,

the question i need to answer is how the stacking sequence effects the properties. I've tried reading laminate theory but just don't seem to understand. Am i right in thinking the first one is a symmetric cross ply and the second one is a quasi-isotropic laminate?

jblakes said:
No, we have just performed a tensile and 3point bend test on a
(0/90/0/90/0/90/0/90) 8layers
(0/45/-45/90/90/-45/45/0) 8layers,

the question i need to answer is how the stacking sequence effects the properties. I've tried reading laminate theory but just don't seem to understand. Am i right in thinking the first one is a symmetric cross ply and the second one is a quasi-isotropic laminate?
The second is what I would call a symmetrically stacked laminate. The first isn't, but it can probably be treated as such if the loading is along the principal directions of the reinforcement. Before you start trying to deal with something like this, you need to develop some understanding of laminate theory. That way you can determine the stresses within each layer. See book by Byron Pipes.

1. What is the difference between (0/90) and (0/+45/-45/90) laminate properties?

The numbers in parentheses represent the orientation of the fibers in the laminate. (0/90) means the fibers are oriented at 0 and 90 degrees, while (0/+45/-45/90) means the fibers are oriented at 0, +45, -45, and 90 degrees. This results in different mechanical properties for the laminate, such as strength and stiffness.

2. How do (0/90) and (0/+45/-45/90) laminates differ in terms of strength?

(0/+45/-45/90) laminates have higher strength compared to (0/90) laminates. This is because the fibers are oriented in multiple directions, allowing for better load distribution and resistance to different types of stresses.

3. Which laminate orientation is better for impact resistance: (0/90) or (0/+45/-45/90)?

(0/+45/-45/90) laminates have better impact resistance compared to (0/90) laminates. The multiple orientations of the fibers allow for better energy absorption and the ability to withstand impacts from different angles.

4. Is there a difference in stiffness between (0/90) and (0/+45/-45/90) laminates?

Yes, there is a difference in stiffness between the two laminate orientations. (0/90) laminates have lower stiffness compared to (0/+45/-45/90) laminates due to the single direction of the fibers. This means that (0/+45/-45/90) laminates are better suited for applications requiring high stiffness.

5. Can (0/+45/-45/90) laminates be used for both tension and compression loads?

Yes, (0/+45/-45/90) laminates can be used for both tension and compression loads. The multiple orientations of the fibers allow for better load distribution and resistance to different types of stresses, making them suitable for both types of loads.