Annoyingly simple problem - rational functions and limits at infinity

In summary, a user asks about the limit of the rational function f(x)=(x^3-2x)/(2x^2-10) as x approaches infinity. Another user clarifies that the limit is undefined and tends towards infinity. There is discussion about the asymptotic behavior of the function and its first term in the asymptotic expansion.
damian6961
Hi all

This is my first post so please be gentle with me!

Limit of this rational function as x approaches infinity?

f(x) = (x^3 - 2x)/(2x^2 - 10)

I was under the impression that if the degree of the polynomial of the numerator exceed that of the denominator then there could be no horizontal asymptote. Is this correct?

I've used l'hopitals rule and found the limit to be 3x/2. I've been told the limit as x tends to infinity is x/2. Which is the correct solution and why? This has been driving me crazy!

Damian

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's x/2. Just divide everything by 2x^2.

Or, just retain the highest order term in the numerator and also in the denominator.

This leaves a ratio of [tex] {{x}\over{2}}[/tex]

The limit is [tex]\infty[/tex]. You can find that by taking the above suggestions and taking x/2 as x goes to infinity, but x/2 itself is not the limit.

adriank said:
The limit is [tex]\infty[/tex]. You can find that by taking the above suggestions and taking x/2 as x goes to infinity, but x/2 itself is not the limit.

You misunderstand what I'm saying. The function approaches a "limiting" (asymptotic) form of x/2 in the limit at x goes to infinity. It doesn't matter if the value of the function goes to infinity as x goes to infinity. Electrical engineers use this trick all the time to find out the high frequency response of a system. We always have frequency response as a ratio of polynomials in frequency. We just keep the highest order terms in the numerator and in the denominator to find the high frequency response.

I'm not misunderstanding anything. The question didn't ask about the asymptotic behaviour of the function as x goes to infinity; it only asked about the limit. I was giving a clear answer to the question.

adriank said:
I'm not misunderstanding anything. The question didn't ask about the asymptotic behaviour of the function as x goes to infinity; it only asked about the limit. I was giving a clear answer to the question.

Well, I read the question differently. It says "what is the limit of the rational function?". This implies finding the limiting functional form which is born out by the answer. He tried to solve the problem as if he needs the numerical limit, which is why he is confused.

If you are saying that the wording of the question is vague and that the answer of infinity could be acceptable as an answer, I won't argue about that.

I didn't find the problem statement unclear or ambiguous at all. Oh well.

The limit of the function as x approaches infinity is undefined (it tends towards infinity).

The f(x) - x/2 goes to zero in the limit of large n, implying that the function f(x) ~ x/2 asymptotically.

adriank said:
I didn't find the problem statement unclear or ambiguous at all. Oh well.

Yes, I see your point. Math requires precise statements. I shouldn't read things into it.

AUMathTutor said:
The limit of the function as x approaches infinity is undefined (it tends towards infinity).

The f(x) - x/2 goes to zero in the limit of large n, implying that the function f(x) ~ x/2 asymptotically.

I always use extended reals for limits, so I would say
[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}f(x)=+\infty.[/tex]

If you really want to get technical, what the original poster was asking for is the first term of the asymptotic expansion of f(x) about infinity:
[tex]f(x)=\frac x2+\frac{3}{2x}+\frac{15}{2x^3}+\frac{75}{2x^5}+\cdots[/tex]

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is an algebraic expression that can be written as the ratio of two polynomial functions. It has the general form of f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomial functions and q(x) is not equal to 0.

2. What is the limit of a rational function at infinity?

The limit of a rational function at infinity can be determined by looking at the highest degree terms in the numerator and denominator. If the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, the limit is 0. If the degrees are equal, the limit is the ratio of the leading coefficients. If the degree of the numerator is greater than the degree of the denominator, the limit is either positive or negative infinity, depending on the signs of the leading coefficients.

3. How do you simplify a rational function?

To simplify a rational function, factor both the numerator and denominator and cancel out any common factors. This will result in a simplified form of the function that is easier to work with.

4. What is the difference between a vertical asymptote and a horizontal asymptote?

A vertical asymptote is a vertical line on the graph of a rational function where the function approaches infinity. This occurs when the denominator of the function is equal to 0. A horizontal asymptote is a horizontal line on the graph of a rational function where the function approaches a constant value. This occurs when the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator.

5. How do you find the domain and range of a rational function?

To find the domain of a rational function, set the denominator equal to 0 and solve for x. The domain will be all real numbers except for the values that make the denominator equal to 0. To find the range, analyze the behavior of the function at its vertical asymptotes and horizontal asymptote. The range will be all real numbers between these two values.